13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
cbcbd

by cbcbd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:44 pm

It's funny how people judge other families without ever meeting them. Hey, just because you have a kid who likes playing video games and would pee his pants on an ice slope it doesn't mean this kid is the same way.

"Type A parent forcing a kid"

His parents seem to be driven people. Couldn't it be possible that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree? Why is no one saying - "This is one Type A kid!"

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I'd have to agree that not all kids are the same. Albeit the exception, a 13y old *can* be relatively mature. I wouldn't push him into it but if it's something he REALLY wants to do and I could afford it, I would probably allow it as well. You only live once...

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:...On May 22, 2001, 15 year-old Temba Tseri became the youngest person to reach the top of Mount Everest – the world’s highest mountain. In June, 2000, Temba tried to climb Everest and would have been been one year younger climber, but bad weather forced him to return back when he was less than 70 feet (22 meters) from the top of Everest. It was sad he lost five of his fingers to frost-bite..."

That's increadible! Temba lost five fingers, and still came back a year later to climb the mountain! :shock:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

jspeigl wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:...On May 22, 2001, 15 year-old Temba Tseri became the youngest person to reach the top of Mount Everest – the world’s highest mountain. In June, 2000, Temba tried to climb Everest and would have been been one year younger climber, but bad weather forced him to return back when he was less than 70 feet (22 meters) from the top of Everest. It was sad he lost five of his fingers to frost-bite..."

That's increadible! Temba lost five fingers, and still came back a year later to climb the mountain! :shock:

And then ? Still five fingers less, man! For what ?

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:17 pm

cbcbd wrote:It's funny how people judge other families without ever meeting them. Hey, just because you have a kid who likes playing video games and would pee his pants on an ice slope it doesn't mean this kid is the same way.

His parents seem to be driven people. Couldn't it be possible that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree? Why is no one saying - "This is one Type A kid!"

Just curious : do you have kids ?

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm not getting strong feelings one way or another on this issue, and I'm confused by some of the reactions in this thread. Don't worry, though, Neophite; when it comes to parenting, I'm generally in agreement with Philip Larkin.

Mihai Tanase wrote:
jspeigl wrote:

And then ? Still five fingers less, man! For what ?

That question seems to go beyond the scope of this discussion.

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:
cbcbd wrote:It's funny how people judge other families without ever meeting them. Hey, just because you have a kid who likes playing video games and would pee his pants on an ice slope it doesn't mean this kid is the same way.

Just curious : do you have kids ?

No. But does that really change what I said or make it invalid?
All I said was don't make assumptions about other parents and their children. If you have safety standards you feel need to be forced unto your kids don't assume that others who do any less are reckless or stupid parents.

All 13 year olds aren't the same:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100325/ap_ ... udy_abroad

surgent

by surgent » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Two records that should not be tracked: (1) youngest (2) fastest.

As far as (1) goes, invariably it's a parent pushing the kid for vicarious reasons. At least for (2), grown-ups can "compete" for this feat.

As for any youngest, where does her get the means to do this? (ahem)

When I was 13, I was driven too. I wanted to play first base for the L.A. Dodgers, really really bad. There are lots of 13yo who are driven. That alone doesn't make letting him do this correct or ethical.

10 years from now he'll be 23, older, wiser and probably more mature to make a decision for himself. Mt Everest isn't going anywhere soon (we hope) and in fact, will be a few mm higher. It's not like he has to do climb it now, or never in the future.

All that being said, I think it's darling, and I'm sure he'll be a swell citizen in the future.

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:47 pm

Chewbacca wrote:Wasn't there a recent case from Belgium or The Netherlands where a 13 year old girl wanted to sail around the world alone? From what I remember the parent who supported this lost custody of the child.

There was. I'll dig it up when I get back.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:23 pm

jspeigl wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
jspeigl wrote:I see this differently than most everyone else. I think it would be tragic if they didn't support him and let him go.

Sorry to be so blunt- but I hope you don't have kids and do not have plans to have any. Enogh said.

You maybe right. But 10 years from now, he'll look back at this experience and be ever gratefull to his dad for letting him have this opportunity.

Or the Dad might be visiting his son's grave ten years from now, asking himself why.

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:
jspeigl wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
jspeigl wrote:I see this differently than most everyone else. I think it would be tragic if they didn't support him and let him go.

Sorry to be so blunt- but I hope you don't have kids and do not have plans to have any. Enogh said.

You maybe right. But 10 years from now, he'll look back at this experience and be ever gratefull to his dad for letting him have this opportunity.

Or the Dad might be visiting his son's grave ten years from now, asking himself why.

You seem very passionate to one extreme of this issue. Is there a specific reason for this? Why all the anger towards the parents?

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:02 pm

cbcbd wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
jspeigl wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

You seem very passionate to one extreme of this issue. Is there a specific reason for this? Why all the anger towards the parents?

I agree with you, is difficult to understand. When you aren't parent :wink:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 pm

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm

I see young gymnasts doing dangerous stuff that I wouldn't try at any age. I imagine that missing a back flip on the balance beam can have significant CNS consequences.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:36 pm

While Everest is not on my list of mountains to climb, I'm jealous of what he's been able to do. And while his dad may be a little crazy :shock: I'm glad someone supports a kid who realizes his potential.

I'm 13 and I go hiking. And that's mainly it. I can redpoint 5.8's at a gym but never get the chance to try it on the real rock. I had two big trips last year; Mount Washington winter ascent w/ Frankenstein ice climbing and the Gunks for two days. My dad realizes my potential but can't leave behind the other two kids in the family or pay for it either. This kid has the time and his parents have the money so I say congrats for just going out there.

However, I don't think Everest is the right choice. He shouldn't be risking his life to set a new record but rather hanging out in his home state. He lives in California! I'm guessing there's lots of alpine out there. He should be going out for the fun. I congratulate him for wanting to climb Everest but someone needs to realize he's not ready. He should be climbing for fun, not for records.

patb

PreviousNext

Return to News