Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Best First California Climb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: Best First California Climb

Postby dman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:30 pm

butitsadryheat

I will try and tell you bout those launches! Do you live in the area?

Dman
dman

Postby Kahuna » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:Dman... Welcome to Cali ;)

Kahuna

The following user would like to thank Kahuna for this post
dman

Postby Kahuna » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 pm

3Deserts wrote:dman, jesting (and jousting!) aside, following other suggestions, Agassiz would make a neat introduction to the Sierra. It's a really beautiful area, the approach hike is very appealing and easy, the scramble isn't hard, and will introduce you to some pretty typical Sierra terrain, with the option to get in to some 3rd class stuff if you choose to head off the standard gully routes from Bishop pass. For what it's worth, it's the only 2nd class route Peter Croft includes in his Sierra book. If there's early season snow though, be careful. If you start up and it's looking too dicey, you can still spend a wonderful night amongst some very charming lakes and tarns, and maybe scramble around Chocolate Peak a bit.

Speaking of, if you're in a book-buying mood, I'd suggest Croft's book "The Good, the Great, and the Awesome," and Fiddler and Moynier's climbing guide to the Sierra (forget the exact title), and Porcella's guide to climbing CA's 14ers, in addition to Secor.

Now, back to Comedy Central:

A5RP wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:I agree with 3deserts, NO Cali, just like you don't go into San Francisco and call the city "Frisco"

You funny White Anglo Saxon Boys.

Ha ha! That's funny. The assumption I mean. Almost as funny as assuming a sailor might have curious bedroom habits!

Jesting--again!--aside, so you know: white yes, Anglo and Saxon no.

And, since we're going there, not Protestant either. Like you, a good Roman boy actually!

A5RP wrote:I'm Super close Bro's with some very hardcore "Real Cali Natives" and they insist on identifying as "Cali Sordeno's" or "Cali Nordeno's".

Guess that is the difference between cultures. Those that are true natives and those that claim to be natives.

Vato, seriously: what does that all even mean?

"Super close bro's?" "Bro?" Pretty white vato.

"Very hardcore "Real Cali Native?"" Seriously. What does that mean? Like, more nativer? Like, 'I'm more born in CA than you?' Like, 'more pregnant?' Half native? WTF? You either are, or you are not. Like, born here I mean. Like me. Born in downtown Los Angeles (the not WASP part! Hey! Whadyaknow?). Let me emphasize: "Los. Angeles." Like, "El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles." The original name.

Or, hell, let's really get native. The original name of my home town Los Angeles is actually "Ya'ngna," and the people who named it, the Tongva, who've lived here for several thousand years are definitely nativerer than you and I and everyone we've ever met born here. Or more borned here.

"True native."

Perhaps you're suggesting that's me?

Again, see above. Born and raised.

How having a Spanish linguistic heritage somehow imparts greater nativity is a mystery to me. If you're born here, you're born here. Either as hardcore, or as little hardcore as the homliest, pastiest Phred you ever met.

A5RP wrote:I am a suedo immigrant from Espana and came over here with my parents when I was 20 months old. I could never claim to be a "Cali Native".

"Suedo." You mean you're a big slimy booger?

Oh. Sorry. You meant "pseudo." Nevermind.

Spain: best athletics in the world right now. The double Euro championship and WC championship is a thing of timeless beauty, as is their style of play.

Nadal. Contador. Indurain. Spanish athletes are providing some of the most marvelous spectacles in sporting history. I love the food. Love the wine. Love the language. Love the literature (Cervantes!).

THAT SAID (and this will be news to you!):

If you are of European Spanish extraction (of which you can be rightfully proud), then you are JUST LIKE ME: a white, non-Anglo, non-Saxon American of European descent, although I will concede you might have some north African blood lines in your history whereas I don't. Hard to know. Do you know? It might make a good story.

Okay, thanks for tuning in. From here on in, I'll channel my frustration of not one but two forced Sierra cancellations in to something more productive than sparring on the intarwebeños.

Y'all be safe this weekend. Don't let your asses get burned by the thunderbolts!

I knew that you'd get over it... Cali Boy.

Just remember that a Spaniard Warrior named your home town. At that time, it was a barren wasteland with only a couple of dozen Native's residing within 100 sq miles of downtown Los Angeles.

BTW: North African Moorish blood yes, lots of it as a matter of fact., by way of Mongolia.
Kahuna

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:59 pm

If I were to fixate on historical Spanish colonists, I'd rather spend my time thinking about someone like Fr. Francisco Garcés, and his relatively sensitive, sympathetic approach to the first people of California. Read up on him if you haven't. Interesting man.

He was a bg figure here in Bakersfield. We have a statue of him in our downtown and a catholic school here is named after him. Interesting man indeed.
butitsadryheat

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:01 pm

dman wrote:butitsadryheat

I will try and tell you bout those launches! Do you live in the area?

Dman

I am to the east, in Bakersfield, in the Central Valley, but can watch the launches from here, and they are spectacular. I once watch one from as far norht as Lake Tahoe, right at dusk, so it was somewhat backlit. It was really neat when the boosters separated. The light refracting in the twilight sky is beautiful.

Thanks in advance for the heads up in the future!
butitsadryheat

Postby Kahuna » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 pm

3Deserts wrote:
Also, I would take very strong issue with your assertion that it was a barren wasteland. Very, very far from it. Moreover, there were far more than a few dozen natives living here. If you would like a beginning list of resources to help enrich your understanding of precolonial life in coastal southern California, I would be glad to compile a list, including contacts for actual living Tongva teachers, linguists, and professors, who also double as native botanists and ecologists at Claremont College and Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden--some of whom I've met and talked to at length personally, and see on a regular basis.

Not at all an assertion. You should also have a clear understanding that both "Native" tribes did not live in any one location throughout the LA Basin. They were constantly on the move and relocated to where steady water sources were. As you well know, that is an an item of inconsistency.

BTW, when my familia settled down there in SOCALI, we lived in Toluca Lake. First on Placidia and then on Bloomfield just off of Cahuenga. My Father taught night Local Botany Classes at Valley College back in the 60's and 70's. And trust me, that dude knew and was knee deep into the eco-systems/environmental history of the local SOCALI region.

As far as lineage goes, you should also be very familiar with how extensive the Moorish know and pass on their family heritage from generation to generation.

BIDH! I used to watch them many launches in the 60's and 70's growing up in Toluca Lake. Some were just plain super badass!!!! The best part was when they lingered for hours into the darkening sky.
Kahuna

Postby Kahuna » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 pm

heysailer wrote:on that note it is also the closest to him from his place...

Funny post.

There are many other lower classed classic climbs that are located on the Westside that Dman can do this time of year.

Here are two super cool hills that are challenging and very worthy:

Sawtooth Peak

Mount Brewer
Kahuna

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:11 pm

I remember our old resident dumbass, derelict (pink truck dairy boy) getting lost around Sawtooth, despite having a GPS!! :lol:
butitsadryheat

Postby POLUKO » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 pm

What is the point of being proud of something that you had absolutely no part of. People are born where they are born. Get over yourselves.

Dman, welcome to Cali
POLUKO

Postby SeanReedy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:25 pm

:lol: Nobody worry about carrying on too much. This thread is much more interesting than I expected it to be. Many subjects that I have been interested in at one point or another have been covered. I may even have some connection to the genetic topics which I can most easily (but not best) sum up with the term Black Irish. I just ran into one of my sur hiking buddies the other day. His sisters both have kids with northern guys now, so I guess he's had to tone things down some more.

While studying at SLO, I took a California History course from an old professor who would just sit back and tell us long entertaining stories. He suggested several good books that I still have around.

Besides the rockets, the Santa Maria style BBQ is not to be missed. The weather is great and there is plenty to do outside year round, but the best hiking is a bit of a drive if into high peaks.

What is this Sawtooth Peak place? I think I've seen some pictures of it. :D I might even have some pictures of some hardcorp guys on a peak that looks like that floating around my house somewhere. :wink: I hear the road to there can close pretty early and the cliff bands during a thunderstorm is not the safest initiation for beginners. It would be a nice introduction though and thunderstorms are generally not the weather to watch out for in the forecast that time of year.
SeanReedy

Postby butitsadryheat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 am

SeanReedy wrote:Besides the rockets, the Santa Maria style BBQ is not to be missed. The weather is great and there is plenty to do outside year round, but the best hiking is a bit of a drive if into high peaks.

So you're a Mustang, eh?

Yes, the BBQ there is great. That is where Tri-Tip was made famous (well, the larger area of SLO/Santa Maria, etc) I have a couple of red oak trees on my property that I prune routinely so I can have it for my smoker. I am willing to brag that I make a much better tri-tip now than what you can get in SLO or the surrounding area :wink:
butitsadryheat

Postby Daria » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:09 pm

dman, if you are looking for carpooling/climbing partners, I live in Shell Beach just 20 miles up the coast. I am a Sierra regular and have summitted a fair amount of Sierra peaks, with an interest in both technical and non technical dayhikes of sierra peaks. Ill be back in the states the end of August and plan to get some sierra climbs done before the season ends, but I also like to head out and do some early winter season mountaineering. As for first Sierra attempts for this time frame, I would recommend Mt. Tyndall, Mt. Langley via tuttle creek, then Mt. Williamson is definitely an impressive mountain, you can go up via george creek and knock out Williamson, Trojan, and Barnard for a satisfying and more reclusive experience. Conditions in the sierra late october and into november, you can expect cold and some ice. September is a much better suited month for Sierra wandering. I once did a trip to the Sierra in November to do mt. bradley and had to turn around because everything was iced over making travel very obnoxious.

Nice choice with the central coast!!!
I'm the top troll.
Daria

The following user would like to thank Daria for this post
dman

Postby dman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Daria

I could possibly be interested in doing some climbing with a partner at least to begin. An experienced partner would be much appreciated! Let me know of any trips you have planned or are planning on going on. But like I said early, I have highly limited experience, so it will be a learning experience for me.

3Deserts

Thanks for another great idea for climbing.

I really do appreciate everyone's tips and trip ideas!
dman

PreviousNext

Return to California