Best Spring Mountain to climb in California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Svmwilliams

Best Spring Mountain to climb in California

by Svmwilliams » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi. I am a semi-new mountaineer who lives in California. I wanted to climb a mountain in California over spring break (~March 16) and was gonna climb mount Whitney but now I am debating it because of the how much snow their might be and my inexperience with mountain climbing. What is the best and tallest mountain that is doable to climb in Spring in California. Will telescope peak be good? Or do you think Whitney is easily doable? Thanks

stoaX

Re: Best Spring Mountain to climb in California

by stoaX » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Whitney is definitely not "easily doable" in the winter. The snow will be significant and the an extra 3 miles each way will be added on because the road to Whitney Portal won't be open in March. Even in the summer and fall when snow is not an issue, the elevation prevents it from being easily doable for many people. Are you looking to backpack in or day hike? And are you looking to climb in Nor Cal or So Cal - it's a big state.

EastKing

by EastKing » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Telescope Peak would be very doable in mid March. I went up in January of 2012. The only thing is the road to trailhead is quiet rough in spots. Mount Baldy and San Gorgonio are two great options.

no avatar
grubburg

by grubburg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:19 am

Svmwilliams wrote:Hi. I am a semi-new mountaineer who lives in California. I wanted to climb a mountain in California over spring break (~March 16) and was gonna climb mount Whitney but now I am debating it because of the how much snow their might be and my inexperience with mountain climbing. What is the best and tallest mountain that is doable to climb in Spring in California. Will telescope peak be good? Or do you think Whitney is easily doable? Thanks

March 16 is winter, not spring :roll:

what kinda gear do you have and how are your self arrest skills?

phydeux

by phydeux » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Where are you located in California? And how far are you willing to travel?

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:04 pm

The best Spring climbing in California is on skis because current equipment is very light & reliable. There are great routes from Shasta to Whitney & many ascents are faster on snow than foot & the descents are fantastic ! This is a very good year for alpine touring .

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Tallac is a nice ski as well...

Return to California