Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

High Sierra Peak damaged by fire plane drop

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby ksolem » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:39 am

Finally, proof that Clyde was really a red head...
ksolem

Postby Deb » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:44 am

ksolem wrote:Finally, proof that Clyde was really a red head...

More like Fire Crotch!
Deb

Postby The Chief » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:55 am

Deb wrote:
ksolem wrote:Finally, proof that Clyde was really a red head...

More like Fire Crotch!

That is exactly why he is one of my main Heroes! :wink:
The Chief

Postby KathyW » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:23 am

Harlan - thanks for the info on the red stuff. I guess I'll have to go back up there sometime and see if La Salle Lake has turned reddish-orange.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby travelin_light » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 am

wingding wrote:From Royce Peak on 8/19/07:

Regardless. What are they chances they would stripe the summit because of some mechanical problem?

Thats so wierd!
travelin_light

Postby The Chief » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Get over it folks...it's done! There aint a frkn thing you can do about it. Live with it or stay away! It isn't the only hill in the Sierra...G-damn!:roll:

This thing is a hell of a bigger Eye Sore than the red streak and I don't hear anyone bitching about it!
The Chief

Postby KathyW » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:10 pm

give it a few years and people will be all excited to get a look at the historic mine ruins - they come from all over to look at the mining ruins in Death Valley :)
KathyW

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Is that the Phelps Hilton Creek Mine? That mine produced some beautiful molybdenite specimens. Can we walk around the dumps to prospect?
MoapaPk

Postby Greg Enright » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:55 pm

The picture above is the Pine Creek Mine. And, yes, there is some talk of opening the mine to tours. Sierra Wave story
Greg Enright

Postby phydeux » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Phos-chek. I use this and other MSDSs in employee Hazcom training classes. If you read it, be aware manufacturers word these things pretty conservatively to provide some legal cover. While the picture above shows its a visual eyesore, its pretty mild stuff if you should come in contact with it, and it does make a good fertilizer:

http://www.phoschek.com/shared/content_ ... F_D75R.pdf

BTW - Phos-chek is a white substance, but can be purchased in a variety of colors depending on what level of color contrast in needed.
phydeux

Postby Eric O » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:09 am

Hey! I saw that red streak this past summer while passing through the Royce Lakes area. I remember telling my girlfriend, "that's funny, I don't remember that area of rock up there being quite that red! Must be some kind of lichen bloom after the daily rain lately." I never would have suspected something like a firefighting chemical drop!

Well... those lakes are so beautifully clear largely due to lack of nutrients, so it's a shame to see tons of nutrients introduced just upstream.

But in any case -- if they had to ditch that load, maybe it's good that they did so where it most likely only coated areas regularly visited or sat upon by birds, perhaps a pika, a number of lizards and spiders, maybe a marmot or two (not counting climbers). Seems a lot better than dumping it over (for example) the very nearby meadows of French Creek or in fact any lower altitude and/or more level and/or more vegetated area.
Eric O

Postby Kerstin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:45 pm

The Chief wrote:Get over it folks...it's done! There aint a frkn thing you can do about it. Live with it or stay away! It isn't the only hill in the Sierra...G-damn!:roll:

This thing is a hell of a bigger Eye Sore than the red streak and I don't hear anyone bitching about it!

I wonder what's in that fluorescent blue pond that you can see once you're up the Pine Creek trail a bit? It looks kind of scary. :shock:

I noticed the red stain on Feather last October. But I already knew what it was.
Kerstin

Question...

Postby gregoryv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Quick question. How much does it drive you nuts when non-climbers have uninformed comments and criticisims of climbers' judgement in a crisis (supposed or otherwise) situation on a route?

Totally drives me crazy. Nuff said.
gregoryv

Postby ksolem » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:10 am

Hey Chief :) , Nice try with the tungsten mine and all, but it is apples and oranges. The question has been raised as to whether it is appropriate to dump planeloads of fire retardant chemicals in backcountry, wilderness and watershed areas when no people or structures are threatened.

Exhibit A for the opposition:

These pics were taken two days ago at one of several drop zones in the Kern Canyon. The drop were made early last summer - so much for the "it goes away in a few weeks story."

It is good to know though that those rocks are now fireproof.. :roll:
ksolem

Postby The Chief » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:43 am

Kris... you and I both know that there are those that would go completely bonkers if the USFS would not initiate drops in wilderness areas in order to promote extinguishment of a wildfire to save their precious land. Both sides have their reasons.

I personally do not approve of this practice. Fires are a natural process and I say let them burn if they are not any threat to any stuctures etc.

Regardless of reasons or culpability, it is done. Harping about it after the fact will not rid the stains.
The Chief

PreviousNext

Return to California