Madrid, Spain - climbing/hiking?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:09 am

There are many crags near Madrid but the best one in my opinion is La Pedriza.

Crags in Spain

Mick B

by Mick B » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:42 pm

I lived in Spain for a couple of years and learned how to climb there.

At this time of year much of the approach and some of the rock at La Pedriza can be covered in snow. There are a couple of south-facing slab walls that are really climbable year round. Not as much sport climbing up there though.

Patones has hundreds of bolted routes and typically gets crowed, albiet with friendly Spanish people, on the weekends.

Both are within an hours drive of Madrid.

Inside the city there is a great gym called Espaccio Accion (Metro stop: El Carmen on the red line). Not a huge place and it gets crowded in the evenings but the people are great.

The gym actually offers training 10-person sessions 2 times a week led by certified guides. When I was there it was only an extra $10 a month over the regular gym membership and everyone in the our group learned a ton from the instructor and each other.

I've never seen that here in the states - has anyone else?

-Mick

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:00 am

No Mick, there is no snow in the whole Sistema Central but the weather is quite variable.

Choose Manzanares el Real here for a weather forecast

Return to Europe