It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 pm

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Puna de Atacama - Feb' 07

Are there any SP members going to Puna de Atacama in February ?
If so, which summit do you plan, and when ?

Cheerio !
:D
Read more : Puna de Atacama - Feb' 07 | Views : 2803 | Replies : 9

restrictions in parque nacional huascaran

Now it`s official!
The national park`s administration has launched a packet of restrictions regarding climbing/hiking etc. in the park. That means anybody going there has to go with a guide! But who the f..k wants to go on a climbing adventure with an obligatory guide? I think it`s okay to pay for the entrance, to check on equipment & abilities of climbing parties & to have strict rules on environmental tasks...but not to dictate everybody ...
Read more : restrictions in parque nacional huascaran | Views : 15991 | Replies : 56

Ecuador questions

1) Does anyone know what impact the recent eruptions from Tungurahua have had on climbing conditions on the big peaks other than excluding Chimbo for the near future? Other than the Ilinizas we'll be going to Cotopaxi and possibly Cayambe or Antisana.
2) The only peak I might need two ice tools would be Iliniza Sur, should I bring my second BD viper or leave it at home and use one with my traditional axe ...
Read more : Ecuador questions | Views : 2635 | Replies : 8

peaks around polish glacier (east face) of aconcagua

Will be on that route in December with some mates again and want to find out what are the names of the good accliatization peaks near plaza argentina. I know the few in behind plaza mulas on the normal route, but are there any decently high peaks (realatively so) that are amenable to walk ups rather than sitting around in tents. Names and heights would be helpful

cheers

col
Read more : peaks around polish glacier (east face) of aconcagua | Views : 2700 | Replies : 4

Cerro Torre in Google Earth?

Hi everyone, are there any Google Earth users here?

I am looking for Cerro Torre and I found the general vicinity of where it should be, but none of the mountains have labels, and I can't ID it.

Does anyone know where in Google Earth Cerro Torre is? I'm really having a hard time with this! Lol.

Thank you!
Gloria
Read more : Cerro Torre in Google Earth? | Views : 2121 | Replies : 6

Big wall aid routes patagonia???

hi everyone...

I was wondering if anyone had some route descriptions or topos for some of the routes on the torres del paine. Im interested if anyone knows what grade was given to the simon yates/paul pritchard route from "against the wall" ???

Also does anyone know of other routes on any of the 3 towers that are mostly aid, by which I mean no hard (harder than 5.10) rock or hard ice pitches???

Are ...
Read more : Big wall aid routes patagonia??? | Views : 1942 | Replies : 6

Climbing volcanoes San Pedro / San Pablo (near Calama,Chile)

Has anybody climbed volcanoes San Pedro or San Pablo ?
They are very close to each other, and located North of Calama, by the Bolivian border.

- Easy access from Calama by public transport or taxi ?
- Nice climb ? Nice view on top ?

Thanks in advance for any information :D
Read more : Climbing volcanoes San Pedro / San Pablo (near Calama,Chile) | Views : 1547 | Replies : 1

aconcagua adventures

any oppinions about this company please?
tnx
Vladimir
Read more : aconcagua adventures | Views : 902 | Replies : 1

Climbing Nevado Chachani (near Arequipa, Peru)

Hello,

I wish to find out about snow conditions on Chachani, to know if crampons and ice axe are really necessary, or if it can be done without ?

- No glacier whatsoever, just snow slopes ?
- Any penitentes ?
- Is it a nicer ascent than El Misti ?

As usual, thank you ! :wink:
Read more : Climbing Nevado Chachani (near Arequipa, Peru) | Views : 2330 | Replies : 5

Climbing Licancabur (from San Pedro de Atacama / Chile)

I'm carrying on with questions about summits in the Andes !
This time regarding Licancabur :

> It is said that there might be explosive mines on the slopes of Licancabur. All removed ?
Any signs mentionning them ? Any objective danger ?

> Is it therefore safer to climb up with a local guide ? (Chilean as we would start from San Pedro)

> If done with a guide, how much do San Pedro ...
Read more : Climbing Licancabur (from San Pedro de Atacama / Chile) | Views : 4311 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136403