BD Snaggletooth crampon

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
infinityjellyD

BD Snaggletooth crampon

by infinityjellyD » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Anyone try these yet? The concept seems good and I'm convinced on why the mono-point horizontal makes sense, but since they are so new there aren't a lot of reviews and feedback yet. I'm curious if anyone on SP has tried them and what their impressions are.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ ... 0ALL1.html

ExcitableBoy

Re: BD Snaggletooth crampon

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:21 pm

They seem to be very specific, really only good for drytooling/mixed cragging. That said, they look like they would be good at that. See if you can try a pair and report back.

infinityjellyD

by infinityjellyD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:They seem to be very specific, really only good for drytooling/mixed cragging. That said, they look like they would be good at that. See if you can try a pair and report back.

I figured the wide horizontal would work well on neve and general mountaineering. Didn't think it was specifically for mixed work. I guess that's why I was asking. In any case, I will see if they have them at the ice fest to give them a go.

Dave B

by Dave B » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Black Diamond wrote:Originally conceived by Black Diamond athlete and metalworker Whit Magro, the Black Diamond Snaggletooth Crampon is a horizontal monopoint designed for big alpine routes where crux mixed pitches demand technical precision, but long approach slopes and snowy summit ridges require increased stability. A small secondary frontpoint offers additional stability and bite on both steep ice and low-angle neve. The Snaggletooth’s stainless steel construction features a strong yet lightweight design with rocker in the front rail to accommodate modern mountain boots.

I like the idea. Here in CO, most of the classic alpine routes emphasize rock with short sections of easier ice (if any ice at all) and lots of snow climbing. However, booting thin refreeze in verticals/monos suck. But, so so does climbing rock in matched horizontals.

The price point is ridiculous though. Prodeal, sure. Retail, no.

beean

by beean » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 am

I would imagine that if it was a worthwhile innovation many climbers would have ground down their second front point on their horizontals, but I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this.

I haven't climbed much neve, but when I have the vert monos held just fine.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:20 pm

I think front points were spontaneously snapping off Black Diamond crampons so where others see a problem, Black Diamond saw an opportunity and is now selling them as a feature.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:09 pm

It's an interesting idea. I won't be rushing to buy one, but I'd like to try it sometime. If it works really well you could imagine selling two existing pairs to defray the price.

beean

by beean » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:17 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:I think front points were spontaneously snapping off Black Diamond crampons so where others see a problem, Black Diamond saw an opportunity and is now selling them as a feature.

Kudos to BD for capitalising on it, but you're without a paddle when your single point snaps off :P

no avatar
mariomolina

by mariomolina » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:57 am

I've used these dry tooling and for a week in Ouray.
With that in mind, I believe these to be the finest all around crampons available, minus maybe the new style Grivels G-12s, which also have a mono horizontal with a stubby secondary.I have pair of Grivel G-20s for the really steep stuff, and now believe I have all the crampons I'll ever need.

beean

by beean » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:55 pm

It's been a year, has anyone snaggled a pair of these and tried them out? I've not seen a single set in the wild up here but I don't climb much ice anymore.

Return to Gear