Middle Palisade Late Nov Beta Request

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bajaandy

by bajaandy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:24 pm

I was actually thinking of doing Split Mt. that same weekend. Totally depends on the weather though. Fresh, unconsolidated snow conjurs up images of way too much work.

yaknjorgl

by yaknjorgl » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:01 pm

hey - I've tried the 3rd class in early winter conditions - it forced us out of the gully proper and and up onto the walls on the side- not bad, but slippery easy 5th class in boots- we ran out of time and didn't summit- we didn't expect to have to belay -
but right now - its like a heat wave - it could be nice

I wouldn't mind tagging along-
I live in Bishop, PM me

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 pm

squishy wrote:Image

This seemed class four to me...the chute on the left...but only a few moves...

I can't imagine doing the route in winter, I want to see pics...

Squishy, you were in the wrong chute. For the Secor's chute you should have turned right (not left) from the top of the ledge. I did exactly the same mistake in 2005. We went even further left at the top. There were a couple of very short class 4 sections. We went down the correct Secor's chute which was class 3 or lower all the way. In any case, I would not want to do any of these routes in winter. I can't imagine what kind of snow should be there for it not to slide. Br-r-r...

Previous

Return to California