plastic doubles?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
etai101

plastic doubles?

by etai101 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:03 pm

i am about do for getting a new pair of plastics just chucked away an aroded pair of koflachs(old purple and heavy).
dont get me wrong thay served me well but im looking for a "high performance" boot with no price objective i want to get a "all rounder"(when i say this i mean warm feasbly lite and easy to handle in the dark with gloves etc...) that can go over 6000m with out shutting down.

as far as i could see there isent much choise in the double boot catagory.
i was looking at the boreal g1 lite they seem to fit the bill but i couldent find many vendores or reviews not to mention the new g1.
i would love some feedback on those or any other pair that you might fancy.

cheers.
edited and approved for posting by me.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:16 am

If price is no object what about La Sportiva Spantiks?

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/296

Parenteau

by Parenteau » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:30 pm

I have the Spantiks for my doubles and they are a great boot. Climb technical terrain well and are very warm.

funkyicemonkey

by funkyicemonkey » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:09 am

Old purple koflachs...VIVA SOFTS!!!! wow. I had some in the early 90's. For their age they were great, went well with my acid yellow tights and royal blue top. I moved into leather boots, Nepal tops are my weapon of choice these days. Look out for lighter, more precise leather or synthetic single boots that will take a neoprene over boot. You wont regret it. :D

Gido

Re: plastic doubles?

by Gido » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 pm

etai101 wrote: i was looking at the boreal g1 lite they seem to fit the bill but i couldent find many vendores or reviews not to mention the new g1.
i would love some feedback on those or any other pair that you might fancy.

cheers.
edited and approved for posting by me.

I have them, tried them for the first time in Bolivia this summer.
Although they are extremely comfortable they failed to do for what I've bought them. I had very cold feet on Ancohuma and the weather was not that bad. :(

etai101

by etai101 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 pm

those are some tierd boots last summer on elbrus i got allot of envius looks.
but 12 years have taken there toll gotta chuckem .
after reviweing the spantik i came to a realizatin that the boot is bulkie even more than my koflachs plus that new shoe string system looks flakie to me.
has any one any opinion on the boreals vs the scarpa vs asolo of same type.
thx

blissjocky

by blissjocky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:47 pm

I just got a pair of Scarpa Omegas. Used them yesterday at -10 F without being cold. Works well with my old Silveretta ski bindings and walks well. Climbed WI 4 decently too.
I will have to use them some more to see for sure how they will work out.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:26 pm

[quote="blissjocky"]I just got a pair of Scarpa Omegas. Used them yesterday at -10 F without being cold. Works well with my old Silveretta ski bindings and walks well. Climbed WI 4 decently too.
I will have to use them some more to see for sure how they will work out.[/quote

I think those are very nice boots. Tried some on once, and loved 'em. Someday. . . Best o' luck with them.

brandon

by brandon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Scarpa Phantom 6000 is a nice boot, if they fit your feet. Biggest difference between Sportiva and Scapra; Sportiva fits low volumne/narrow feet, Scarpa fits high volumne/wide feet better.

climbncookie

by climbncookie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:03 pm

brandon wrote:Scarpa Phantom 6000 is a nice boot, if they fit your feet. Biggest difference between Sportiva and Scapra; Sportiva fits low volumne/narrow feet, Scarpa fits high volumne/wide feet better.

Just curious where Koflach fits in with those two, width wise?

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 pm

check out la sportiva baruntse also.. i just picked up a pair, heard great things.. taking them to Aconcagua next week.

Return to Gear