13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat May 22, 2010 5:05 pm

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm

billisfree wrote:Oldest, youngest, fattest, thinest, dumbest, smartest, first African-Am, first Mex, on and on it goes... bragging rights... yeah right!

Let's wait now for the first pregnant woman in her 9th month :mrgreen:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat May 22, 2010 5:24 pm

JakobFisker wrote:Circus Everest has done it again. People must be joking to even mentioning this kid and full scale alpine climbers in the same sentence.

I promise never to mention this kid and full scale alpine climbers in the same sentence; at least, ever again.

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:
billisfree wrote:Oldest, youngest, fattest, thinest, dumbest, smartest, first African-Am, first Mex, on and on it goes... bragging rights... yeah right!

I hope that sometimes someone will stop thinking to mountains as a competitive terrain where the goal is the possibility to say "I'm the best"

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat May 22, 2010 5:33 pm

+1

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sat May 22, 2010 5:35 pm

gabriele wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:

I hope that sometimes someone will stop thinking to mountains as a competitive terrain where the goal is the possibility to say "I'm the best"

I agree with you Gabriele, but who could be someone ?

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sat May 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:
gabriele wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:Let's wait now for the first pregnant woman in her 9th month :mrgreen:

I agree with you Gabriele, but who could be someone ?

in my old brain someone should be all the people going to the mountains ... let competition live only in the lowlands, please :)

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sat May 22, 2010 5:59 pm

Competition is also the race for the 8000ers mates: being the first woman to be on the fourteen, first man to repeat all of them, etc.

In my opinion anyone must compete with him/herself. Either on the mountains, at the beach, city... Or just do not take life as a competition

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Sat May 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Huge boost for climbing it on the North (Chinese) side.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat May 22, 2010 9:02 pm

The more I'm educated, and the more books I read about Everest and Mountaineering, the more my view of Everest shifts to being a less challenging 8000 meter peak. I mean, a 13 year old kid could do it. Hats of to the kid, but give me a call when he summits Annapurna, or K2. :D

Hopefully, climbing is this kids thing, and someday he will be setting the fixed lines for 10,11, and 12 year old's to get to the top!

no avatar
Chewy

by Chewy » Sat May 22, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm happy for this amazing young man. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about him and his future adventures.

Some of the complaints in this thread are pretty ridiculous. It's none of my business how wealthy his family is. Nor am I the kind of person to try and tell others how to raise their children.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Next he needs to save a kitten stuck on a concrete monolith. Then SP members will come out in droves to complain about his grandstanding, his choice of boots, his hairstyle, and generally imply (without being so brash as to say it directly) that they could do everything much better. For all we know, his trip was secretly underwritten by BP!

harryquach

by harryquach » Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Next he needs to save a kitten stuck on a concrete monolith. Then SP members will come out in droves to complain about his grandstanding, his choice of boots, his hairstyle, and generally imply (without being so brash as to say it directly) that they could do everything much better. For all we know, his trip was secretly underwritten by BP!

Well said sir

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun May 23, 2010 2:58 am

MoapaPk wrote:Next he needs to save a kitten stuck on a concrete monolith. Then SP members will come out in droves to complain about his grandstanding, his choice of boots, his hairstyle, and generally imply (without being so brash as to say it directly) that they could do everything much better. For all we know, his trip was secretly underwritten by BP!

Close, I think he was getting all his funding from the SC MLC, thats why there's so much hate. There's also rumors of him running for President when he becomes of age, hes just building up his elaborate experience. I'm sure his next step is to join the Military, get caught as a POW in Pakistan and cross the Karakoram range while breaking out of the POW camp, and leading other wounded soldiers to safety.
The SC MLC is not to be messed with!

no avatar
DJFLIX2009

by DJFLIX2009 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:44 am

Chewy wrote:I'm happy for this amazing young man. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about him and his future adventures.

Some of the complaints in this thread are pretty ridiculous. It's none of my business how wealthy his family is. Nor am I the kind of person to try and tell others how to raise their children.

x2..

imagine all the amazing memories this guy will have of his childhood. I wish i was in the position to even travel to one of these places with my father. He has been able to do so much in his short life, what a lucky kid, seems like he has a great family supporting one of his dreams...

kudo's to them all imo

PreviousNext

Return to News