Multi-purpose down jacket suggestions?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Dane1

Re: Multi-purpose down jacket suggestions?

by Dane1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:42 pm

"If it comes with a condescending tone, you can keep your advice to yourself."

Glad you caught that. There was no intention to hide the sarcasm. It is the Internet after all so you don't get to choose the questions or the answers just the advice you follow.

Mid weight comparisons below for some of the jackets mentioned.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... ckets.html

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Ben B. wrote:Those who suggested the Rab Neutrino and OR Maestro- look like perfect candidates. Thanks, two more jackets to watch for.

Of the two, the Rab Neutrino is a better jacket, I like it's larger hood better and the taller collar. However, the Maestro and Neutrino are functionally the same (nearly same fill weight, loft, length, etc). Unfortunately the Neutrino doesn't come up used too often and they cost more retail, even when discounted.

The following user would like to thank Nitrox for this post
Ben Beckerich

bird

by bird » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:32 pm

I've been pretty happy with First Ascent down jacket. I got it on sale for 50% off. If you can find one you like on sale, I was surprised by the quality and toughness so far.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:27 am

I haven't ever come across any FA stuff.. I'm sure it's perfectly good gear, if a tad heavier than some others.

I ended up finding a righteous deal on a new Phantom, and since I was pretty sure that's just about what I needed, snagged it. Should be here in a few days.

Thanks for help, gentlemen.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 pm

In my opinion, synthetic is very nice. I have a Northface Redpoint with a hood and it's one of my most used jackets. I layer that with a light wind shell under and a good rain shell on the top and that has gotten me though some really cold and wet days. Between those configurations there are all kinds of options. The Mountain Hardware Compressor is pretty much the same thing.

I also have a MH Hunkerdown that I like it, but I usually don't take it past the car.

Good luck!

Tom

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Check out the OR Transcendent. I scored one for $73 in April, it weighs like 300 grams and is just awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Transcendent-Hoody-Medium/dp/B003XMOOVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1345991324&sr=1-1&keywords=transcendent+hoody

If you can deal with an odd color it is a great deal.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Autoxfil wrote:I use my Rab Neutrino Endurance for those purposes, and it's just perfect. Warm enough for anything in the lower 48, very light and compressible, and it's got a highly water-resistant shell to boot.

I second that - awesome jacket!

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:15 am

Hi, I have a heavy down parka, Superplume by Outdoor Research. HERE, its awesome for camp and belay in cold to very cold conditions. If its going to be in the teens or less I take the OR every time. For climbing or hiking in cold weather the heaviest jacket I use is the Arcteryx Atom LT. Its an awesome piece and a must have IMHO (I tried quite a few jackets before).

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:34 am

Yikes.. the Superplume looks mega. I'd love to have something that warm, but I can't imagine it compresses too well
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Previous

Return to Gear