Recommendation for identifying peaks of the Pioneers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
buckleez

Recommendation for identifying peaks of the Pioneers

by buckleez » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:22 pm

I am just an amateur hiker who enjoys a day on the trail with my dogs. I explored the Hyndman Creek trails this summer and now that I am back home, I am having trouble telling one peak from the other in my photos. I have some great photos of that area in all its fall splendor but I would like to label with some certainty the peaks in the pictures. Aside from a topo map,does anyone have a suggestion about how I can identify the peaks in panoramic photos taken from the Pioneer Cabin looking east, from the Hyndman Basin, and from Big Basin? I am new to this forum so please excuse my inexperience. Many thanks.

Tonka

Re: Recommendation for identifying peaks of the Pioneers

by Tonka » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 pm

I promise that if you post the pic it will get labeled. Until you do that I'm not sure what to say.

peakhugger

by peakhugger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Google earth with a topo overlay should do the trick, if you want to do it yourself.

- import a topo layer (or you may be able to just us the "Borders and Labels" within GE if the peaks are labeled), e.g. http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer
- navigate to the view where you shot the photo,
- select View -> "Make this my starting location" to easily get back to that spot,
- navigate to a peak to determine it's name (activating a topo layer if necessary)
- click "starting location" to return to the spot you shot the photo
- repeat

awilsondc

by awilsondc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Google Earth is the way to go. Just go to the location you took the photo, and zoom in to get the view you see in your picture. Then you can move the camera around over to the mountains in your picture and the summits should have a little green mountain icon over the summit. You can hover over the green icon to see the name of the mountain. This works well for most well known mountains, however not all named peaks are listed on Google Earth but most of the Pioneer Range should be listed.

If you can't ID the peaks with Google Earth, post the picture here and I'm sure someone can help ID the peaks.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:21 am

For Google E, set the terrain detail on "highest."

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:02 pm

I'd recommend looking at the SummitPost page for the Pioneer range (link below).
From the Pioneers page, click on Images in the upper left. When the Images page opens, scroll to the bottom and select Slideshow. You'll see much of the same views you saw on your hikes, and the pictures are usually labelled.

Also, the Pioneers page is linked to the peak pages of all the major Pioneers summits.

Enjoy.

http://www.summitpost.org/pioneer-mountains-id/477625

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Have you tried locating your view point on Google Earth? It's very accurate and easy to use. That in conjunction with the SP page should get it done.

Iron Hiker

by Iron Hiker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48 am

http://www.peakfinder.org should be the standard way to go from now on if you want to identify peaks.

Just choose your location on the map on that site and it should show everything very well.

With Google Earth, if the peaks are fairly close it shouldn't be too hard to identify them but it always becomes an interesting game if they're pretty far off (like 100 miles....).

Have fun!

The following user would like to thank Iron Hiker for this post
nickhowes, peakhugger

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)