Partner for Skiing Hotlum-Wintun Ridge on Shasta

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Rude Boy

Partner for Skiing Hotlum-Wintun Ridge on Shasta

by Rude Boy » Sun May 31, 2015 5:05 am

I was gonna do it this weekend but bailed with the prospect of 75 mph winds. My friends can't make it next weekend but I still wanna get after it as long as the weather cooperates. Looking at being there June 6-7.

96avs01

Re: Partner for Skiing Hotlum-Wintun Ridge on Shasta

by 96avs01 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Gonna be poking around the Trinity Alps that weekend, but could make it work 2 weeks later if that's a possibility.

Rude Boy

by Rude Boy » Sun May 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Cool. Yeah they're still predicting windy up there next weekend but we all know that that may change. I'll email you and we can take this convo offline.

ttriche

by ttriche » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm going to be in Tahoe next week (June 7th-12th) and looking to continue north to Shasta for a ski descent the following weekend (i.e. June 13th-14th).

I have previously tagged the summit and descended via Avy Gulch, West Face, and Hotlum-Wintun (the latter in full conditions :-/ but such is life).

Looking to ski the north face of Shastina this time around, but if anyone has their heart set on the Hotlum-Wintun, I could do that one again. (The drive around kind of sucks though)

According to the guys at the Fifth Season, both the upper West Face and the north face of Shastina are in great shape.

Rude Boy

by Rude Boy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:21 am

Sounds good! My plans for this weekend didn't turn out. Doing some climbing and white water instead. Oh, it's a rough life living in California :P

June 13-14 works for me. So far the long range weather model is looking good too. Hopefully get another blue bird weekend up there with great corn. I could be convinced to do the north side of Shastina. That slope looks effing rad! I did a nice chute on the south side of Shastina last time I was there. Damn fun. Best idea would be to contact the Fifth Season/Shasta Mountain Guides/Climbing rangers this week to find out where the best conditions are. Either way I do wanna do something on the north side this trip. If it is way warm and sunny throughout the week the south side will be mashed potatoes.

Rude Boy

by Rude Boy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:37 pm

North side Shastina! (photo credit jibmaster on the Beautiful SHASTA Current Conditions thread, nice pics dude!!!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster ... tmG-sRZcJ8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster ... xY9-sRM8KG

ttriche

by ttriche » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Yeah that looks like it will go ;-)

See you next weekend.

Rude Boy

by Rude Boy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:39 pm

FYI - great skiing on the H-W on the 13th-14th. Softened up nicely right to the summit by late morning.

Return to California