Scots Team

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Boydie

by Boydie » Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Nanuls wrote:I'm back!

Had a look over the page's suggested sub-ranges and have to say I really don't know enough to comment properly, and won't be able to contribute to them in any meaningful sense. So if you're happy with them then so am I.

I think we have to be sure of a few things before starting this page though:

1: Do we have the knowledge to write a page on the area? For the record I'm not going to be much help in this respect.
2: Are there enough photos to adequately illustrate the area, and do they cover a sufficient proportion of that area?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, then I think we should hold off writing anything until we have the proper experience, info and material to make the page properly.

Thoughts?

How was Croatia Dan? Did you have a good time?

1. Personally I would only have knowledge of about 3/4 areas in the south and roughly the same in the central region. As for the north, I know zilch.
2. The amount of photo's is fairly limited. I attached all the ones I could find and that's only a 130 odd pics. A lot of the areas have no pictures whatsoever.

I think holding off on the page is probably for the best for the time being.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

I had a great time thanks, did a lot of exploring and came back with a gigabyte of photos and a tan. So all good there.

I agree that it’s probably better to place this page on hold for a bit, that is unless Eric can fill the gaps; we could revisit it later in the year providing someone visits the area. I might consider it, but it depends on how my summer pans out with work and money and stuff. We’ll see. Other than that I have a few Welsh projects that I’m slowly working through, so I’m not going to be entirely idle.

Cheers
Dan

Charles

by Charles » Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Nanuls wrote:I had a great time thanks, did a lot of exploring and came back with a gigabyte of photos and a tan. So all good there.

I agree that it’s probably better to place this page on hold for a bit, that is unless Eric can fill the gaps; we could revisit it later in the year providing someone visits the area. I might consider it, but it depends on how my summer pans out with work and money and stuff. We’ll see. Other than that I have a few Welsh projects that I’m slowly working through, so I’m not going to be entirely idle.

Cheers
Dan

were you climbing in Croatia?

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Unfortunately not. It was a holiday with my girlfriend who doesn’t really climb, so it was really touristy, mostly sitting on beaches, visiting castles and drinking beer. I did pack my rock shoes and chalk bag though, so I managed to do a we bit of bouldering while I was there.

Charles

by Charles » Thu May 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Nanuls wrote:Unfortunately not. It was a holiday with my girlfriend who doesn’t really climb, so it was really touristy, mostly sitting on beaches, visiting castles and drinking beer. I did pack my rock shoes and chalk bag though, so I managed to do a we bit of bouldering while I was there.

Still, it´s an interesting area to visit!
Cheers

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu May 28, 2009 3:46 pm

charles wrote:
Nanuls wrote:Unfortunately not. It was a holiday with my girlfriend who doesn’t really climb, so it was really touristy, mostly sitting on beaches, visiting castles and drinking beer. I did pack my rock shoes and chalk bag though, so I managed to do a we bit of bouldering while I was there.

Cheers

Absolutely, it was very interesting; they have some beautiful landscapes and architecture out there. We hired a car and visited Bosnia and Montenegro too; it was quite an experience to visit them. The drive to Mostar was particularly eye-opening.

Charles

by Charles » Thu May 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Nanuls wrote:
charles wrote:

Cheers

Absolutely, it was very interesting; they have some beautiful landscapes and architecture out there. We hired a car and visited Bosnia and Montenegro too; it was quite an experience to visit them. The drive to Mostar was particularly eye-opening.

I was down there in the 70´s that was interesting too. Last couple of years done a bit of look see around the Istria and Bohinj - nice sport climbing there too.

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Nanuls wrote:I had a great time thanks, did a lot of exploring and came back with a gigabyte of photos and a tan. So all good there.

Cheers
Dan

Maybe Eric could fill the blanks. I think I seen some pics of his from Glen Affric, so that's a posibility for starters. One of the surgeons in work told me he was there recently up to his waist in fresh snow, with some serious cornicing. Wind was gusting so hard he had to lie flat down on the ridge he was on until it calmed down (around 30 minutes), then him and his group turned back. He still looked a bit rattled when he was telling me about it. :shock:

I'm doing the Cobbler with some people from work next weekend if it's nice and then Ben Cruachan's the plan for the following one. Probably need to stay pretty local for the next couple of months. Hopefully get a bit further afield later in the year myself.

I'll keep an eye out for your upcoming projects.

Later,
Stephen

visentin

by visentin » Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 am

Boydie wrote:Maybe Eric could fill the blanks. I think I seen some pics of his from Glen Affric, so that's a posibility for starters.

Well, I haven't been in Glen Affric, for the ones concerned with NW Highlands, just these :
http://h.visentin.free.fr/munros/zone6.html

(by the way, do you count the islands in this range ?)
I'd be glad to fill the gaps for the Kintail and Ben Dearg area, as much as my modest knowledge allows. For Glen Affric, I think you mix with a picture of the Glen Affric Youth Hostel I posted once in this forum or in the Scotland page, a place I always wanted to go.

By the way, now that we have more and more ranges in Scotland I think it's time to detach a bit some pages to Scotland and attach them to the Grampians or NW Highlands. I'll make a list of objects to attach.

p.s: I've seen that you edited several times the Scotland page, and the first thing I noticed is the number of pubs which increased a lot :) Thanks for your contribution, and don't hesitate to correct my biggest grammar mistakes on the way :)

Boydie

by Boydie » Fri May 29, 2009 8:53 pm

visentin wrote:Well, I haven't been in Glen Affric, I think you mix with a picture of the Glen Affric Youth Hostel I posted once in this forum or in the Scotland page, a place I always wanted to go.

I think I got mixed up with your A' Ghlas Bheinn pictures Eric. :roll:

visentin wrote:(by the way, do you count the islands in this range ?)

No, that's for another page :wink:

visentin wrote:By the way, now that we have more and more ranges in Scotland I think it's time to detach a bit some pages to Scotland and attach them to the Grampians or NW Highlands. I'll make a list of objects to attach.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could detach the ones that are in the Grampians and leave the remainder of the mountain pages attached to the Scotland page. Clint stated the format it should all follow at the very start of this thread.

visentin wrote:I've seen that you edited several times the Scotland page, and the first thing I noticed is the number of pubs which increased a lot :) Thanks for your contribution, and don't hesitate to correct my biggest grammar mistakes on the way :)

No probs, it's one of those parts that can grow and grow. I think I put down exactly what I added earlier in the thread (couple of pages back I think).

Boydie

by Boydie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Hey all,

You might be interested in catching the latest episode of Tir is Teanga from BBC Alba. This one is one of the best ones they made. It focuses around Glen Nevis for this episode and covers Ben Nevis and Stob Ban. Here is the link; http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007hxg3/Tir_Is_Teanga_Series_3_Glen_Nevis/

You've got until next Tuesday before it stops showing on BBC iPlayer.

For those outside the UK it will not work unless you try out one of the ways round it like the one in this blog; http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

Can't verify this is any use though! Sorry

Happy watching. :D

Charles

by Charles » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 am

Boydie wrote:Hey all,

You might be interested in catching the latest episode of Tir is Teanga from BBC Alba. This one is one of the best ones they made. It focuses around Glen Nevis for this episode and covers Ben Nevis and Stob Ban. Here is the link; http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007hxg3/Tir_Is_Teanga_Series_3_Glen_Nevis/

For those outside the UK it will not work unless you try out one of the ways round it like the one in this blog; http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

The Beeb wont let me watch it in Germany :cry:

Boydie

by Boydie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 am

charles wrote:
Boydie wrote:Hey all,

The Beeb wont let me watch it in Germany :cry:

So much for being an international tv company..!

There is a way to get round it Charles, but it might be time consuming. Did you look at the blog link???

Boydie

by Boydie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:26 am

This weeks episode of Tir is Teanga is in the Cuillins on the Isle of Skye.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007hxg6/Tir_Is_Teanga_Series_3_The_Skye_Cuillin/

visentin

by visentin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 am

Hi (Aye !)
I've made an attempt to group all pictures related to the 5 Sisters of Kintail, perhaps in order to make a page. I've got almost everything needed (including map technology, thanks Dan), except.. a nice picture of the 5 Sisters seen from downside, the famous view everyone knows over Loch Duich !
If you have such picture, thanks to attach it to the 5 sisters page !
Thanks
Eric
(and sorry for the rugby... but forgive me, I don't live in France anymore :) )
Last edited by visentin on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Europe