Scots Team

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Nanuls

by Nanuls » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi there, sorry didn't see you're previous post about May, unfortunately it's looking pretty unlikely that I'll manage to get up there as I'm off on holiday to Croatia at the end of that month and don't think I'll be able to get anymore time off work.

Anyway, on the GM page, I'm happy with the photo; I think I'll just crack ahead and write the climate and geology bit; hopefully it won't take too long. Once the page structure is finalised I'll also need to add the links to the Range image map.

Don't suppose you know if there are any photos of Monadhliath Mountains and Angus Glens? I think those sections need them, even if they are taken from afar.

Cheers
Dan

kamil

by kamil » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Dan, where in Croatia you off for? There's plenty of SP folks there (some of them my friends :) ) who know a lot about their mountains, I know that at least one of them will be roaming the Balkan mountains in May :) Or are you off to the seaside?
I hope Clint will be back soon to help yous a wee bit with climate and geology, ain't heard from him for over a week... :D
cheers,
Kamil

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

Nanuls wrote:Hi there, sorry didn't see you're previous post about May, unfortunately it's looking pretty unlikely that I'll manage to get up there as I'm off on holiday to Croatia at the end of that month and don't think I'll be able to get anymore time off work.

Anyway, on the GM page, I'm happy with the photo; I think I'll just crack ahead and write the climate and geology bit; hopefully it won't take too long. Once the page structure is finalised I'll also need to add the links to the Range image map.

Don't suppose you know if there are any photos of Monadhliath Mountains and Angus Glens? I think those sections need them, even if they are taken from afar.

Cheers
Dan

Always fancied a trip to Croatia, like to support them in the football finals cause Scotland are never bloody there. Pity you cant make Torridon. Some other time hopefully.

Probably better to crack on yourself with the climate and geology section as you say, as Clint is obviously snowed under. I'm sure he'll be cool with that. I've tried searching photos for the Monadhliath and Angus under most of the points in the areas I can think of, but no joy I'm afraid. I'll have another scan later.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:46 am

Hi Kamil

It’s going to be more of a beach holiday really, I’m staying somewhere around Dubrovnik, can’t remember precisely because my girlfriend booked it all. She doesn’t climb so it’s not really going to be a massively active trip, although we’ll hopefully do a fair bit of hiking. Since I tend to disappear most weekends to climb, I think she might kill me if I packed my rack and rope! I do plan to take my rock shoes and some chalk though, so I may manage to fit a bit of bouldering in at least… I think I can get away with that.

Stephen, I’ve done a bit on Geology, will look at making some further additions soon – possibly over the weekend – depends on the weather though really. If it’s sunny, there’s no way I’m going to be sitting in front of a computer!

Cheers
Dan

Boydie

by Boydie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Nice write up Dan. :)

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:47 pm

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Nice job, I've written the climate bit although I still have a few bits left to add. Should be all finished soon!

Boydie

by Boydie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Nanuls wrote:Nice job, I've written the climate bit although I still have a few bits left to add. Should be all finished soon!

Just finished reading that, although the amount of rain fall seems more sometimes! Saying that, it's been nice weather for the last week or so 8) .

Only got Clint's picture in the Monadhliath so far http://www.summitpost.org/image/460116/314170/thunder-over-monadhliath.html, may need to extract a couple from an SMC journal I think.

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Boydie wrote:
Nanuls wrote:Nice job, I've written the climate bit although I still have a few bits left to add. Should be all finished soon!

Just finished reading that, although the amount of rain fall seems more sometimes! Saying that, it's been nice weather for the last week or so 8) .

Only got Clint's picture in the Monadhliath so far http://www.summitpost.org/image/460116/314170/thunder-over-monadhliath.html, may need to extract a couple from an SMC journal I think.

Cool, but aren't the SMC pictures copyright protected? If you're looking for copyright free stuff it might be worth searching Geograph. You can post and edit their stuff providing you refrence the authour properly.

Boydie

by Boydie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Nanuls wrote:
Boydie wrote:

Cool, but aren't the SMC pictures copyright protected? If you're looking for copyright free stuff it might be worth searching Geograph. You can post and edit their stuff providing you refrence the authour properly.

Ah, I think you're probably right on that one. I think my brain was probably heading for meltdown last night! I'll have a look on that Geograph site later on tonight. Cheers for the heads up.

Boydie

by Boydie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks for that, I've added the photos to the page. I think the content is all there now, it'll need a proof read, but other than that I don't think there's anything left to write. Unless of course you can think of anything we've missed?

The remaining work is just presentational stuff, which can of course take more time than seems reasonable, but I'll have a look over it tonight and maybe over the weekend if I have time. I'm also going to work on the functionality of the page, I have a few ideas on how to speed lodaing times up, although to be honest, I don't know how successfull they'll be.

All that remains then is to release the finished page, the end of next week seems like a reasonable target. Is that okay with you?

I think that rather than simply changing the page type, we should copy all the code into a new area/range page, that way we at least get it into the What's New section and increase its visibility. The Grampian Moutnains Custom Object could then be used as a 'sandbox' for creating future Scot's Team pages, or for creating pages of your own. I have my own one which I find very useful. Of course this does mean extra work in attaching photos and children to the new page. What do you think?

Boydie

by Boydie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Nanuls wrote:Thanks for that, I've added the photos to the page. I think the content is all there now, it'll need a proof read, but other than that I don't think there's anything left to write. Unless of course you can think of anything we've missed?

The remaining work is just presentational stuff, which can of course take more time than seems reasonable, but I'll have a look over it tonight and maybe over the weekend if I have time. I'm also going to work on the functionality of the page, I have a few ideas on how to speed lodaing times up, although to be honest, I don't know how successfull they'll be.

All that remains then is to release the finished page, the end of next week seems like a reasonable target. Is that okay with you?

I think that rather than simply changing the page type, we should copy all the code into a new area/range page, that way we at least get it into the What's New section and increase its visibility. The Grampian Moutnains Custom Object could then be used as a 'sandbox' for creating future Scot's Team pages, or for creating pages of your own. I have my own one which I find very useful. Of course this does mean extra work in attaching photos and children to the new page. What do you think?

I think by the looks of it we have everything pretty much covered Dan. I started to proof read it last night, but was a bit bushed and gave up half way down!

The end of next week for a fresh new page is fine with me. and changing the current one to a 'Scots team sandbox' is a good idea also. I'm quite happy to attach all of the children and images to the new one also, shouldn't take too long.

Just give me a shout when we are good to go.

I think overall we've all done a pretty good job. :)

Boydie

by Boydie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Dan, I done a spelling and grammar check last night and think I've corrected all that was wrong. A latin and gaelic version of this on word would have been beneficial though, so I may have overlooked some of that. I'll give it another read over later tonight.

Is there any of the stuff you're still to do that I can help with before the transfer or have you got it covered?

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi there, thanks for doing the spell check and all; at the moment I'm reading over the page and changing sentances I think sound a bit crap, so far I've only looked over my stuff (and have found a fair bit to change). I might have time tomorrow to read over some of it, but for the rest of the weekend I'm otherwise engaged. I'll let you know when I'm done.

Have a good Easter mate!

PreviousNext

Return to Europe