Pizzo Gallina

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.49449°N / 8.39149°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10043 ft / 3061 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pizzo Gallina is one of the western 3000 of Tessin (Ticino). It's set on the border with Wallis (Goms), just over Nufenen pass, where the Ticino river springs in the highest point of val Bedretto. Although there are many nearby mountains with similar elevation, Pizzo Gallina is characterized by its particular shape: the main summit is somewhat round but it is surrounded by many rocky teeth on its jagged ridge. The great Eastern ridge starting from the top looks like (with a little of fantasy) the head and the crest of the "Gallina" (it means chicken in Italian).
There are three principal ridges and every slope is steep and it's ploughed by colouir, often covered by snow in many periods of the year. At the foot there are still small glaciers.

Getting There

Although the height difference is small and the altitude is not so high, all the routes to summit are mountaneering routes.
Principally they follow the natural routes of the mountain: the ridges and the colouirs. In Early summer the second are to be preferred because the are covered by snow or ice, instead in late season the movable stones make them less attractive, and so it's better to climb on the rocky ridges.

The starting point is Nufenen pass (2480 m), on the highest point of the road that links Wallis and Tessin

Main summer routes are:

1. SSE colouir (PD)
2. SE colouir (PD)
3. Sudgrat (PD)
4. Westgrat (PD+)
5. Ostgrat (PD+)

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Val BedrettoMountains & Rocks