Point 9947, Rainbow Peak, UT.

Point 9947, Rainbow Peak, UT.

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.55560°N / 111.69135°W
Additional Information County: Salt Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9947 ft / 3032 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Special Information.

This page originally was created by SP Member d.shorb. Dan did an excellent job creating this page and the majority of it's contents will not be changed with the exception of a new photo or two here and there in the future. Then WasatchVoyage took over the page, adding several new sections of information. Now the page has befallen to me. Soon this page will have some new photos and more information. Stay tuned.

Another Pink Pine gem

[img:395832:alignleft:medium:West side chutes don't all go without climbing/rapping.][img:475454:alignright:medium:Heading up Pink Pine Ridge]


The first high point on Pink Pine Ridge (Red/White Pine Divide), local ski guides often refer to this place as Rainbow Peak, though it is also popularly known as Pink Pine Knob.

The name is not important, but the awesome ski terrain found here is. It is some of the best-known, quick-access backcountry in the Wasatch, and thus very popular. It resides between the White Pine and the Red Pine drainage, just south(uphill) of the Red Pine trail and the area known as Pink Trees to backcountry skiers. It's steep, rugged west side is contrasted by its east side chutes and avalanche paths.

This area is usually only hiked in the summer as part of some meandering scramble built to get you away from people and up on the ridge. Sound fun? Do it. On the west side, it's summit resides above the Maybird/Redpine Trail junction

Getting There

The main access point is the White Pine Trailhead in Little Cottonwood Canyon..
Though White Pine trail is the most direct, most hiker's have other objetives in the area as well, and, so, Red Pine may also be a nice choice.

Red Tape

[img:395238:alignleft:medium:Skiing the NE aspect][img:388791:alignright:small:NE chute]







Note that there are people here every day, even when the weather is bad, so always try to figure out if there's anyone above you when approaching this peak (even when there's no visible tracks).

Additionally note that this peaklet has 'wilderness' rules on its west side and normal forest service rules on its east side, because it is part of the Lone Peak Wilderness boundary.

The following are prohibited:
- Group sizes exceeding 10 persons.
- Camping within 200 feet of lakes, trails, or other sources of water.
- Camping for more than 3 days at one site.
- Short cutting a trail switchback.
- Disposing of garbage, debris, or other waste.
- Open fires in the Red Pine Fork

Camping

[img:388792:aligncenter:medium:Jesse on a classic storm day]

Point 9947, and Pink Pine Ridge in general, makes up the eastern Lone Peak Wilderness boundary and different rules apply to those drainages.
The rules for this area say that you can camp anywhere 200 feet from any water source. Drainages are avalanche traps in winter anyway, so camp away from them even when melting snow. Also Don't Poop Within 200Ft. Of Water Sources.

External Links

Utah Avalanche Center

Another sweet Pink Pine Ridge highpoint is Lake Peak.

Mountain weather.

The area weather corresponds with that of Snowbird, Utah.




Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
utahjimk

utahjimk - Oct 9, 2017 11:19 am - Hasn't voted

help!

page needs some fixes - all is not displaying correctly

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.