Mount Superior & Monte Cristo

Mount Superior & Monte Cristo

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.59130°N / 111.6713°W
Additional Information County: Salt Lake
Additional Information Elevation: 11132 ft / 3393 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Superior and Monte Cristo rise high above Alta & Snowbird ski resorts on the divide between Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. Rising over 11,000 ft the views of surrounding mountains are nothing short of spectacular. The summits of both are achieved in a relatively short hike from Alta in Little Cottowood Canyon. Mountain goats are frequently seen in the area.

Getting There

From Interstate 215 take the 6200 South exit. Turn east and follow Wasatch Blvd past the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Continue south on Wasatch Blvd following the signs for Alta & Snowbird ski resorts. Follow the road up Little Cottonwood Canyon for 8.3 miles passed Snowbird ski resort to Alta Guard Station. Park just east of the Alta Guard Station on the north (left) side of the road.

Red Tape

The trail to Cardiff Pass starts at the Alta Guard Station and winds up through private property on paved and dirt roads. Please stay on the roads until above the homes and private property. No other fees or restrictions apply.

When To Climb

These peaks can be climbed year round. Generally, the best time to climb is from June-September when the ridges are clear of snow. However, Mt. Superior makes a good winter ascent for those who are experienced. Several areas on the approach are prone to avalanches. Please assess conditions before launching on a winter ascent.

Camping

No camping is allowed except in designated campsites throughout Little Cottonwood Canyon.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wasatch Range (Central)Mountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch Cottonwood RidgeMountains & Rocks
 
Wasatch 11,000 foot peaksMountains & Rocks