Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Dean

Dean - Nov 5, 2007 7:34 am - Voted 10/10

Wow...

..Another Dazzler of a page. Your range pages are the best on Summitpost that I have seen. One of my best friends lives just below the Pebble Creek Ski area and explores this area on his ATV and motorcycle. I know he'll enjoy the information you have provided and several of the peaks are also prominence peaks that I will be returning for. Again, many thanks for such detail and overall information.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 5, 2007 12:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow...

Thanks Dean! My family lives nearby but none of them climb mountains or hike. They are completely unaware of the great place that they live in. Many of these peaks are prominent even though they are not high in elevation. Good luck to climbing the rest of the prominence peaks in the range.

tommi

tommi - Nov 5, 2007 8:04 am - Voted 10/10

Great

Another great page, Its impressing how much work you put in such a great site, the result is fantastic.
Cheers, Thomas

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 5, 2007 12:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

Thanks for the nice compliment Tommi! It takes a lot of effort to describe a whole mountain range. Some of the mountains in this range are not climbed often. I know this area well so it was easy for me to write about it.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Nov 5, 2007 11:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing!

Another wonderful page! You do such a great job on your pages and I'm gald you were able to attach it to my Southeast Idaho Ranges page. I always wondered why no one has put a page for the Portneufs up until now since it is such a great range and and it is so close to Pocatello. Great Job!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 6, 2007 12:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing!

Thank you! The reason I didn’t submit it earlier was because I wasn’t sure if I had enough photos to make a page for it. It seemed to come out all right though. I agree with you, this is a very nice mountain range that is close to Pocatello and few people know about it.

imontop

imontop - Nov 10, 2007 9:03 am - Voted 10/10

Very Nice!!

I agree with all the other comments; you create great pages! So,
are there trails to these peaks, or are you bush wacking? Been through there countless times and I love the area, and I've always wondered about these mountains. Great job!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 11, 2007 10:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Nice!!

Thanks! As far as I know, there are no maintained trails to the summits of any of the mountains in this range. The Boundary Trail goes around the base of the Central Peaks. Bonneville Peak and Snow Peak can be climbed from Pebble Creek Ski Area. Haystack Peak has a trail that goes to the saddle located to the north of it.

Baldy Mountain and Sedgwick Peak have a rough 4-wheel drive road but cars won’t be able to make it up there. It would be a long hike from the valley. Most of the other mountains have few or no trails at all which may require bush whacking.

jvarholak

jvarholak - Nov 10, 2007 3:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Benchmark

This should be used as a template for what a good mountain/range page should be like...I'm sure alot of work went into this and it shows...well done mountaingazelle, well done!!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 11, 2007 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Benchmark

Thank you for the nice comment! It takes a while to put a range page together. I’m the type of person that has to keep busy so I like to write about these mountains.

Corax

Corax - Nov 10, 2007 8:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Yes!

What a great page!
A place I don't know anything about, but if I one day go there I know where to look for info.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 11, 2007 10:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Yes!

Thanks, Corax! This area has a lot of nice mountains that are not climbed very much. You aren’t the only one who doesn’t know about this place. Some of the people who live there don't know about it either!

D-bo

D-bo - Jun 22, 2009 5:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Question?

Would you consider Sedgwick Peak to be a part of the Cache Valley complex, or is it too far North? I'm wondering if it could be compared to James Peak at the southern extreme of Cache Valley.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 22, 2009 6:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Question?

James Peak is definitely located in the Bear River Range even though it is closer to Ogden Valley rather than Cache Valley. Sedgwick Peak is in the Portneuf Range but not at the very south end and would probably be too far north to be considered part of the Cache Valley complex. There are mountains located even farther south in this range which I don’t have good photos for at the moment. They include Cottonwood Peak, Thatcher Hill, Dry Hollow Mountain, Heart Mountain, and Treasureton Hill. These peaks would be near the extreme northern end of Cache Valley. The rest of the Portneuf Range farther north is located above Marsh Valley. In my opinion, the mountains that are part the Cache Valley complex would be the Bear River Range, Wellsville Mountains, Bannock Range, and southern area of the Portneuf Range.

D-bo

D-bo - Jun 22, 2009 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Question?

That helps clear things up. Thanks.

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Dec 8, 2009 9:20 am - Voted 10/10

Smashing!

Very good discussion of both the range and the individual peaks. I'm thinking about using this as a model for the range page that I have planned for early 2010.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 8, 2009 7:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Smashing!

Thanks for the nice comment! This mountain range isn't high in elevation but the peaks are very prominent. I thought it would be good to include more detail about them.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Portneuf Range' main page