Predators and Prey of The Rocky Mountains

Predators and Prey of The Rocky Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Article

The Rocky Mountains:

In the cycle of life predators and prey play supporting roles to each other. A balance of both populations indicates a healthy ecosystem.

No other place is as harsh as the mountain environment when considering the risks that each animal must take just to survive. Climate, terrain and other factors weigh heavily on each animal and they must learn to mitigate each factor in order to survive.

Young mammals must be quick learners and rely upon instinct to live to an old enough age to pass on their genes and lessons learned to their offspring.

The Rocky Mountains are home to the animals I am familiar with. Much has been written about the uncomparable Rocky Mountains. These pages are not about the mountains where these incredible animals call home.

North America's Continental Divide travels north to south through the Rocky Mountains. Numerous mountain ranges combine to produce some of the most incredible mountains in the world. Although many others would disagree there are many who agree with this statement.

The Rocky Mountains are home to such jems as Montana's Glacier National Park, Canada's Banff, Wyoming's Yellowstone National Park and The Tetons just to name a few.

The material contained in this ablum and its attached pages are a compliation of many sources found on the internet as well as the own personal observations and life experiences of this author.

Please add your quality photos to this page.

 

Bull Moose near Oxbow Bend
Shiras Moose, Bob Sihler Photo
True Hard-Core Climbers
Mountain Goats, Bob Sihler Photo


 

Black bear on the south side...
The Black Bear, kyledod photo.
Animals of the Western slope of Colorado
The Mountain Lion, Ice Man Jerry Van photo.


 

Mule Deer
Mule Deer, echoguy photo.
Colorado Ram
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Anya Jingle photo.



The Prey:

Bull elk
Bull Elk, Zac Finley photo.




These ungulates are spread throughout the Rocky Mountains. Found on the valley floors and on mountain tops these incredible mammals will certainly provide photo opportunities as well as great memories when you enter their home ranges.

Visit each page to learn more about each of these animals.

Mule Deer

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

Rocky Mountain Goat

Rocky Mountain Elk

Shiras Moose

Whitetail Deer

The Predators:

Yellowstone Wolves
The Gray Wolf



The top three predators in the Rocky Mountain all command respect while visiting their home. Visit each page for information regarding their habitat, their life cycle, conservation efforts and how to travel safely in the Rocky Mountains while enjoying the outdoors.

Black Bear

Grizzly Bear

Mountain Lion

Other Predators:

The Gray Wolf

The Wolverine

The Coyote

The Red Fox

 
Coyote, Lamar Valley
The Coyote
 
Mountain doggy
The Red Fox

 

Coyote, Lamar ValleyThe Coyote
Mountain doggyThe Red Fox


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 16, 2008 6:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Should be a good piece

I look forward to seeing it develop. I added two pictures I think are okay (feel free to detach them if you don't agree, though-- I won't picket your house!), and I have some more I can scan and add, including one of some grizzly cubs that were checking me out near Granite Park a few years ago. Their mother put an end to that...

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - May 17, 2008 1:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Should be a good piece

Thanks a lot for your photos. I will take a look at them this weekend. Please send any additional ones that you might like to share.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.