Pu‘u Koa‘e (Puu Koae, Sugarloaf)

Pu‘u Koa‘e (Puu Koae, Sugarloaf)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 21.00109°N / 156.54536°W
Additional Information Elevation: 636 ft / 194 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Maui has many volcanic rock formations along its coastline. Having driven all around the island, I can say that this is the only one I was compelled to climb from the moment I saw it. Pu‘u Koa‘e (also called Sugarloaf), the summit of Kahakuloa Head, stands 636 ft. from ocean to summit, with vertical cliffs on all sides but the south; the southern aspect is still steep however. From the summit, one can see most of Maui's northern coastline, Haleakala, and if you like the color blue, you will be completely enveloped by it.

More information, as well as pictures of the west face, can be found here: Hawaii Web

Getting There

Pu‘u Koa‘e lies on the north-eastern shore of West Maui, a half mile to the NE of the village of Kahakuloa, and guards the east side of Kahakuloa bay. Take Kahekili Highway (340) from which ever direction, but keep in mind that most of the highway south of Pu‘u Koa‘e is a single lane road and may take you more that hour to get there by car from Kahului. The formation is past the "mile 14" marker going southeast; the parking lot is due south and overlooks the saddle between it and Pu`u Kahulianape.

Red Tape

There is no obvious red tape. There is an open gate at the parking lot that leads into the area. There are several well traveled trails around this area; there is a decent use trail up to the formation as well. There were no signs posted.

When To Climb

Climb when it is not raining, that is all I can say. There is significant exposure on the easiest route.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.