Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.91190°N / 104.81°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6622 ft / 2018 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pikes PeakPikes Peak from Pulpit Rock
Photo by knotis23

Pulpit Rock Open Space is a small oasis among the older north-central suburbs of Colorado Springs. One of the oldest open spaces areas in the Colorado Springs areas secured through the Colorado Springs TOPS program, this open space was once part of the Houck family estate.

From out of the grass and yucca sprouts this pinon-ruffled white outcrop. While the crowds bear down on nearby Palmer Park, the hiker may find herself all alone at Pulpit Rock. While I-25 traffic rushes on by, the views of Pikes Peak and the Rampart Range from the summit of Pulpit Rock can take your cares away just long enough to forget that downtown in only minutes away. Sadly the summit block is marred by graffiti, but the strong and handsome Pulpit Rock shines right through.

A visit to Pulpit Rock is an excellent outing for those short on time who simply need to stretch their legs and take in some mountain views.

Getting There

Pulpit RockWhite rock on Pulpit Rock | knotis23
Chimney of Ruin - Pulpit in DistanceChimney

Parking for Standard Nevada Ave. Route: Travel north on Nevada Avenue. Before reaching the interchange with Interstate 25, turn right onto the parallel frontage road (as if going to the Harley-Davidson dealership). Follow that road to a dead end near to an electrical substation. See a sign for Pulpit Rock Open Space and park.

There is a modest amount of parking, but spaces will likely be available. Many of the visitors to this open space are local residents who walk to the park.

Red Tape

As part of the Colorado Springs urban park system, dogs must be on leash. For more details on rules and regulations refer to the City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services.
On the approachApproaching Pulpit Rock
Photo by davebobk47


Weather

Pulpit Rock from Austin BluffsPulpit Rock from Austin Bluffs
Photo by davebobk47
Pulpit Rock in the Far DistancePulpit Rock in the Far Distance


Thanks to its urban location and short distance from the trailhead, Pulpit Rock is accessible year-round. In fact, snow season is a lovely time to visit this area as the crowds are scarce and the snow emphasizes the desert-like plantlife and stark rock outcrops.


Camping & Lodging

Pulpit Rock from Ute ValleyPulpit Rock from Ute Valley
Photo by davebobk47
Near Pulpit Rock SummitAt the saddle below the summit





As Pulpit Rock sits in an urban area, there is no nearby camping available. Numerous hotels for various budgets with ready access to I-25 can be found at the Nevada Ave | Corporate Dr | Rockrimmon Blvd exit as well as on Garden of the Gods Road.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.