Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.85740°N / 104.9988°W
Additional Information County: El Paso
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10245 ft / 3123 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Perhaps the greatest characteristic of this mountain is that hardly anyone knows it exists. First of all, this mountain has no official name or unofficial nickname. It is known simply as UN 10,245 for its elevation in feet. Unlike grander neighbors Pikes Peak (14,110), Almagre Mountain and Almagre Mountain South, UN 10,245 is not especially tall or prominent. Certain mountains, such as Mount Rosa, Cameron Cone and Blodgett Peak are clearly distinguishable and recognizable forms in the wall of mountains to the west of Colorado Springs. But not UN 10,245. Thanks to their position at the top of The Incline and their proximity to the nationally famous Barr Trail, even casual hikers and runners know the names of Rocky Mountain and Mount Manitou. UN 10,245 cannot even be seen from the well-travelled Barr Trail.

Further relegating the peak to peaceful obscurity is the isolation from any nearby trailheads that this peak is blessed by. By its most straightforward route this mountain demands a 15 mile roundtrip hike with 3,800 feet of vertical gain, to touch its rocky summit outcrop.

Summit of UN 10,245B with Pikes PeakSummit of UN 10,245B with Pikes Peak
29 Mar 2009

No, UN 10,245 is not a mountain for the casual Sunday hiker to stroll quickly to the summit to enjoy an easily-gained view. This ranked Colorado 10er exacts quite a price of the hiker wishing to lay foot upon this summit. But the privileges of admission are more than worth the cost: Front-row seating for an unusually rugged view of Pikes Peak; expansive eastwardly views across the Colorado Springs metro, including Black Forest and downtown; especially pleasant side-by-side views of Almagre Mountain and Runs-Down-Fast Mountain; and more.

Left to right: Pikes Peak, from east; Runs-Down-Fast, Almagre; Wind-blown snow, Pikes Peak.
Click on images to enlarge.


All this obscurity and isolation means that the summit views from UN 10,245 are enjoyed by relatively few. And what a joy it is to sit on the summit slab of UN 10,245 enjoying lunch, snapping photos, signing the register and casually taking in the sights…all the while knowing that while the nearby Barr Trail hums with steady foot traffic and the city of Colorado Springs throbs with urban energy below, you and your hiking partners are taking in show-stopper views enjoying an amazing amount of solitude in the midst of it all.

Colorado Rank: 2,168th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 315 feet
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Manitou Springs
Trails Illustrated Map: #137 (Pikes Peak, Cañon City)
Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

UN 10,245 B sits about three miles east-northeast of Pikes Peak and four miles west of the funky little town of Manitou Springs. The peak is within spitting distance of the well-known Barr Camp.

UN 10,245B Regional MapClick map image to enlarge

Route Overview

As with many mountains, almost an unlimited number of routes can be conjured up for reaching the summit of UN 10,245 B. Below I outline the two most logical routes to reach this point. While the seemingly interminable switchbacks of the lower reaches of the Barr Trail may drive the hiker crazy, the Via Barr Trail route would still me the much more direct and straightforward of the options. The route up from the Pikes Peak Hwy via Manitou Reservoir may provide more adventure, but also additional navigational headaches. Furthermore, of the four maps I possess of this region (three in hard-copy and one electronic), not a single one agrees with another in terms of the location of key trails between Manitou Reservoir and UN 10,245 B.

RouteMileageElevation GainProsCons
Via Barr Trail14.5 miles RT3,800 ft.Clean and straightforward routeLong route with a lot of elevation gain; lower sections of route very crowded and parking at TH is extremely limited
Via Pikes Peak Toll Way12 miles RT (approximate)2,400 ft.Slightly shorter with less elevation gainOverall more twists and turns; more demanding of navigation skills; requires intermittent off-trail portions and linking together of vague, lightly used trails

Red Tape

Pikes Peak from the summit of UN 10,245BPikes Peak from the summit of UN 10,245B
29 Mar 2009

Via Barr Trail

The parking at the lot serving the Barr Trail is very limited. One tiny dirt parking lot serves both the popular Barr Trail as well as the famous Incline. This trailhead is very close to town and on the outskirts of the Manitou Springs shopping, dining and lodging hub.

Via Pikes Peak Hwy

If accessing UN 10,245 B from the Pikes Peak Toll way, usage fees and curfews apply.

Curfew: Generally speaking, the gates at the tollbooth close at 7:00 PM in the summer and 5:00 PM in the winter. Check the Pikes Peak Highway Website or call 719-385-Peak to check when the gates will be closed for the day you plan to visit.

Fees: As of this writing, the fee for the Toll Road is $10.00 per adult (16 and over $5.00 per child (6 - 15) or total $35.00 per car. Cash and credit cards (Visa and Master Card) are accepted. However, if you are not going to the top of the mountain, let the gate attendant know. A special rate of $4.00 per adult is available for visitors going only as far as Crow Gulch. Be honest and do not take advantage of this special program.

Camping & Lodging

Barr Camp



A variety of accommodations are available at the historic, nationally-recognized Barr Camp. Barr Camp is operated year-round by devoted caretakers and serves up pleasant, surprising comfort deep in the woods. Currently, the cost for a nightly stay includes breakfast and dinner is available with advanced notice. Accommodation options include:
  • Main Cabin (a group bunkhouse sleeping 15 snoring strangers)

  • Private Cabin (sleeps up to 12)

  • Lean-to shelters (each sleeps 3)

  • Tent sites

It is recommended that reservations for Barr Camp be made several months in advance for weekend stays during the warmer months. Please visit the Barr Camp Accommodations informational website for the latest information on rates, meals and policies.

National Forest Campsites



Rustic car camping and backcountry camping can be found in the adjacent Pike National Forest. Be forewarned that the proximity of this area to the urban I-25 corridor means that crowding can be an issue, especially in the summer, and that unsavory characters are known to frequent this area. Be prepared for heavy ATV use, large crowds, drunkenness and casual firearms usage.

The nearest semi-developed US Forest Service campsites would be in the Rampart Reservoir area.

Meadow Ridge Campground:
  • 19 campsites

  • 9,200 feet elevation

  • Season: Generally early May through September

  • $15 per night, per site

  • Amenities include tables, fire grates, drinking water, latrines, and trash collection

Thunder Ridge Campground:
  • 21 campsites

  • 9,200 feet elevation

  • Season: Generally early May through September

  • $15 per night, per site

  • Amenities include tables, fire grates, drinking water, latrines, and trash collection



Hotels



Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs lies at the foot of Ute Pass. The Barr Trail trailhead lies within this community This colorful, eclectic town offers a wide range of lodging options including old-style motor cottages and cabins, retro family-run motels, charming B&Bs and modern chain hotels. Shopping and dining are within walking distance of most Manitou lodging. Visit the a href=http://www.manitousprings.org/Default.aspx >Manitou Springs Visitors Website for more information on lodging in the area.

Colorado Springs
The hotel options in Colorado Springs are virtually limitless. If you are the 5-star luxury type, be sure to check out The Broadmoor.

Weather & Seasons

Icicle TreeIcicle Tree en route to UN 10,245 B
29 Mar 2009


Relatively low elevation and very limited exposure to avalanche-prone slopes mean UN 10,245 B is a year-round mountain. That being said, the distance to reach this peak from any nearby trailhead would make this outing outright painful as a day-trip in deep snow. (Spending a night at Barr Camp could alleviate the toll this peak would exact from your party in deep powder.) Be warned year-round, the Barr Trail is an incredibly popular trail with locals and visitors alike. Be prepared for off-leash dogs, screaming kids, die-hard runners and “hikers” in flip-flops, shorts and tank-tops toting a Coca-Cola.

Zone Forecast for Manitou Springs, CO

External Links

Barr Trail
Barr Camp
The Incline

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Apr 2, 2009 11:42 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Page

But one small thing..."It is known simply as UN 10,425".... did you mean UN 10,245? Cheers and keep up the good work!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Apr 2, 2009 12:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Page

Thanks for catching the error (I'll fix it) and for the kind words. Climb safely! Sarah

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.