Punta Emma - Piaz route

Punta Emma - Piaz route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.46030°N / 11.64500°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: V inf (UIAA)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 6
Additional Information Grade: V
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Punta Emma is the northern spur of Catinaccio main summit but most consider it as a separate summit (2610 meters).
A view from Gardeccia - the...A view from Gardeccia - the Catinaccio wall, Punta Emma and Vajolet
.
It is quite famous among climbers for its two classic routes: the Piaz and the Steger.
Haven't climbed the Steger, I can say that the Piaz should be the best choice here, a little more difficult than the other one but fine and amusing:
about 200 m - 6-7 pitches with difficulties not sustained.
The route was opened in solo by Tita Piaz in 1910 !!!

Approach

From Gardeccia by a confortable path reach the Refuges Preuss and Vajolet. Along the path from Refuge Preuss to Refuge Re Alberto I° you can easily see the starting of the big crack that can be reached crossing for about 100 m to the left and scrambling for some tens metres.
Punta EmmaOn the trail to start

Route Description

Punta Emma - via Piaz -...follow the red dots ...
N-NW faceThe way to descent

Ascent
Scramble (II-III) to the beginning of the big crack till a comfortable ledge.
Straight along the vertical crack (IV), 2 pitches - in the second one there is the key passage of the route (V).
Now you must climb on the left side of the crack, along steep slabs that become easier - 2 pitches.
To the left some metres and then straight on to the summit.

Descent
Coming down is not difficult (II°) but requires 1 rappel :
Go along the W ridge till the saddle between Punta Emma and Catinaccio.
Now, scrambling (traces of passage and cairns) till the starting point of the rappel - 25-30 metres.
From here in a little time you can get the path leading to the refuge

Essential Gear

50 m long rope and some carabiniers.

Photos

1st pitchThe start
1st pitch1st pitch
2nd pitch2nd pitch
2nd pitch2nd pitch
2nd pitch2nd pitch
3rd pitch3rd pitch
3rd pitch3rd pitch



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.