Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Additional Information Elevation: 50 ft / 15 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Although Thailand is famous for great beaches, food, and beautiful women. Thailand is becoming a popular destination for sport climbers from around the world. Cheap accomodations and a great atmosphere when not on the wall, make the destination quite affordable.The 26 different areas to climb around Railey will keep you busy for a long time. If that is not enough another 20 or so areas will continue to challenge you. Many of the areas are reachable with only a short walk from beach side bungalows.

Getting There

Railey is reachable from the mainland only by boat. This can be done from either a short ride from Ao Nang or a bit longer from Krabi City.

The easiest way to reach the area is to get to Krabi City from Bangkok. Krabi City is located on the Addaman Sea on the Western side of the Thailand Peninsula. By Bus it is a 9-10 hour ride from Bangkok to Krabi City. Frmom Krabi City Bus Station it is a 300 baht ($7.50) taxi ride to Ao Nang from where you can catch a longboat to Railey Beach which will cost 50 Baht ($1.25). Railey BEach hosts several resorts ranging in price from 300 Baht/day to 10000 baht/day.

Red Tape

There are no fees to climb in the Railey Area. The only red tape involved is dependent on how long your Visa/Passport is good for. For Americans this is only 30 days.

Climbing Areas

Thaiwand Wall ____ One-Two-Three
Muay Thai____ Duncan's Boot
Hidden World____ Kochel Rock
Jungle Gym____ Jungle Gym S. Face
The Keep____ Castle Wall
Low Tide Wall___ Jurassic Park Wall
Hueco Wall____ The Defile Wall
The Defile Exit____ Happy Island
Escher Wall____ Universe Wall
Candlestick____ Wee's Present Wall
Lap Lair____ CoCo Wall
Diamond Cave____ Amphitheater
Gwaht Lan (Sweep Cave)____ Railey Beach Wall

When To Climb

The best time to climb due to the heat is from December-February. However, if you can stand the wonderful heat you can climb well into April.

Camping

Camping is generally discouraged because most of the land is privately owned or part of a national park, however, accomodations are very reasonable.

Railay Village Resort
236 Moo 2 Ao-Nang Muang, Krabi, Thailand
Tel: 075-622578-80
Fax: 075-622579-80


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.