Rialto Beach, Olympia NP

Rialto Beach, Olympia NP

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Introduction

Olympic National Park first became famous for its rainforests and glaciers and it is also known for the longest stretch of wilderness ocean beach remaining in the conterminous United States. This stretch, north and south from the Quillayute River is almost exactly as it was before Columbus —except that in 1492 (and until fairly recent times) Indians had permanent homes and temporary camps at many places along the coast now deserted. Backpackers and hikers can travel the miles of beaches and explore the forests and cliffs. Kayakers can also paddle the rivers and Pacific.

Rialto Beach, 12 miles from Forks, Washington, is an entry point for some 55 miles of wilderness coastline protected by Olympic National Park. I only had time for an afternoon but it was enchanting! I hope to return someday.

Feel free to add your own Rialto Beach pictures if you have visited this area.




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.