Robbins / Chouinard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.78400°N / 118.583°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical rock ( Big Wall )
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: V, 5.10, A3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the end of the Hwy 180, follow the trail west along the Kings River to the bridge crossing below the Grand Sentinel. Wander up talus and into the gully that runs under the North Face ( the D. O. A. gully ). See approach topo.

Route Description


Start at a steep " ramp " below the giant 800' green open book that forms the upper half of the route. Seven pitches ( 5.9, A1 or 5.10c ) lead to the base of the giant open book. Six pitches of devious difficult and sometimes dirty mixed free and aid climbing lead up the dihedral. Three easier pitches left of the corner lead to the top. See topo ( in photos ). Also see Summit magazine May / June 1986, Volume 32, Number 3.

Essential Gear


In 1985 we used the following - 2 knife blades, 8 Lost Arrows, 4 Bugaboos, 2 each baby angles, 4 each angles 3/4" - 1", 5 - 1 1/4" angles, 3 - 1 1/2" angles, 1 each 2" - 4", 2 sets Friends and 15 stoppers ( mostly medium ). I'm sure many angles could be subsituted with cams etc today. However, when we did this route the Ranger said he hadn't seen anyone climb it in 8 years. So be prepared for what may appear to be a climb nobody has ever done! Check with the Cedar Grove Ranger Station for the latest route information.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.