Rollins Pass trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 39.93390°N / 105.6831°W
Additional Information County: Grand and Boulder
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11671 ft / 3557 m

Overview

The Rollins Pass Road follows the path of an old railroad that wound its way out of Denver and went to Salt Lake City. In 1928 the Moffat Tunnel was finished which then allowed the tracks to be run through the mountains several miles south of Rollins Pass. The east end of the tunnel as at the East Portal. The western end of the tunnel comes out at the base of the Winter Park ski resort.

The road approaching the East Portal comes off of CO 119 at Rollinsville and goes as far as Yankee Doodle Lake which is about a mile and a half east of Rollins Pass. The Needle Eye Tunnel, which is between Yankee Doodle Lake and Rollins Pass has collapsed, thus not allowing through traffic all the way across the pass.

Getting there

Rollins Pass is reached from US 40, between the town of Winter Park and the base area of the Winter Park ski area. The Rollins Pass Road is 1.5 north of the main entrance to the Winter Park ski area, or 1.7 miles south of the center of the town of Winter Park. Turn east onto the road and follow it for 13.8 miles. While the road is dirt it has a gentle grade, but gets a bit rough near the pass. Passengers cars should be able to make it to least Riflesight Notch, which is 10.2 miles from the turn off from US 40. High clearance vehicles and 4x4's should have no difficultly reaching the pass.

This road is not open during the winter. The road closure is at US 40.

From Rollins Pass there is access south to James Peak Wilderness and to the north Indian Peaks Wilderness. The Continental Divide Trail crosses at Rollins Pass.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.