Südgrat

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.38243°N / 7.87681°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 18
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route follows the prominent ridge line over five towers to the main summit.

Getting There

The most convenient start is from Stockhorn-Biwak. From there follow marked climbers trail uphill and to the west for about 20 min (cairns). Climb rock sections to gain access to the South ridge. Approximately 30 - 40 min from bivouac to rope-up point, depending how well you find your way...

Route Description

1st Tower: 4 pitches (4, 4+, 2, 5)
Rap down 20m to notch

2nd Tower: 4 pitches (5-, 5-, 3, 3)
Rap down 10m to notch

3rd Tower: 1 pitch (4)
Downclimb to base of 4th tower (3+)

4th Tower: 1 pitch (4)
Bypass 8m below tower summit on left (western) side to abseil station (equipped). Rap down 30m to notch (caution about your rope here).

5th Tower: 5 pitches (6-, 3, 6-, 5+, 3+)

You then follow the almost horizontal ridgeline for 60m (one step UIAA 3).
Further along the ridge for 3 easiy pitches (4-, 3, 3+) to the summit.

Essential Gear

Route is well equipped, bolts and old pitons in difficult sections. Take slings, a good selection of cams to protect in other sections of the climb.

Boots necessary for descent via east ridge.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

StockhornRoutes