Refuge des Sarradets or de la Breche de Roland
Refuge CAF de la Brèche de Roland
Tel : 06 83 38 13 24
Situated above the Circus of Gavarnie, facing the Brecha de Rolando (Gap of Roland).
-Keepers: Lionel Marquis (Mountain Guide) et Mandy Latchford.
CAF de Tarbes
46, Bd du Martinet
Tel/Fax : 05 62 3693 23
Répondeur : 05 62 36 56 06
It is therefore old and small in their interior (in spite of having more than 50 places, distributed in three sleepers-rooms with blankets, in arranged wood races berths in three flats). It counts with little comforts, - a small bath and wc besides the outside-
It has a little kitchen free and running water (note: because when it is cold, that is all the year save in summer, the water is freeze and it don't had water!)
By car since Lourdes, take the direction Argelés Gazost, Pierrefitte, Luz and Gavarnie. To the entry of Gavarnie, leave for upright direction Les Especières, Col des Tentes and Boucharo. Pass to the station of the Espécières and leave the car to the col. Walk of about 1 h 45min. Attention: in July and August, the stationnement in Gavarnie is regulated and paying.
In the winter and springs, leave the car to the Especières (big free parking lot) and climb to skiing or to rackets by the itinerary of been. Before climbing, it's strongly recommended contacting the custodian or the post of CRS that will give you the last information forecast and nivologiques.
Summer and winter climbed it to this refuge already constitutes a race of high mountain that it does not be necessary to neglect. His access can be dangerous and do not must be realized by poorly equipped and inexperienced walkers of the high mountain.
* Valley of the Tourettes (Pouey Aspé)
* L'echele de Sarradets
* Since the Spain by Arazas and the Gap of Roland walking from Refuge of Góriz.
In 1883, Henry Russel fit to dig the first caves at the level of Gap. The abbè Gaurier poursuivit in 1906, with a very relative comfort. The construction idea of a refuge dates back to 1942 to the initiative of Robert Ollivier. But the project does not live really the day that in 1951 with the support of the French Alpine Club (CAF) and the French Federation of the Mountain (FFM). The place was chosen on a big stone where them groups had the habit to rediscover itself for the lunch facing the Gap. The plans, audacious for the era, were drawn by the architect tarbais J'S. Martin. The financing was assured by the state and the local groups. The works were realized during the summers 1955 and 1956 by the business Castells then to Bagnères of Bigorre. The construction is in moellons and size rock extracts on the spot with a roof in copper leaf. The inauguration was in October 21 1956 by the president of the French Alpine Club, Maurice Herzog, the conqueror of the Annapurna. The origin capacity was of 60 places in 2 sleep-rooms of 2 levels and a room for the guides. The custodian disposeed only of 2 sleeping beds in the cooking. From 1970, an additional level of sleeping beds was installed to pass the capacity to 90 places. It was the first refuge "modern" inaugurated after the war in the Pyrénées. The first custodian was José Perisies, native of the High Aragon (Bourgasé) and that was the cook of the workers during the construction. It there resta to September 1969, dates to which the road arrives to Boucharo. Its sucesseurs were John Durac then Tristan Badie. José Perisies prit the refuge of the Glère in June 1971 to an era without road.
External LinksRefuge B.Roland
Refuge des Sarradets