Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.69289°N / 0.06525°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9954 ft / 3034 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gabietos
The two Gabietos

The two peaks of Gabieto / Gabiétou are the westernest of the peaks of 3000m of twin valleys of Ordesa and Gavarnie. Because the access is harder from the nearest Puerto de Bujaruelo / Boucharo, the most frequenteds climbs are from Ordesa or across the Breche de Roland, or even from the summit of Taillon (3144m). The two Gabieto's peaks are joined for an elegant ridge without great difficulties (rock climb of F) and generally are climbed in the same day.

The two peaks:
-Gabieto Occidental (West, 3034m), really the main summit.
-Gabieto Oriental (East, 3031m), from the Taillon and from the col of Gabietos it seem the highest and even the first mountaineers thanked were on the main summit.

As curisoity the border Spain-France goes across the col of Gabietos and the summit of Taillon and really the summits of Gabietos are completely on Spain but I consider that many routes goes in French territory and the distance is only of 400m from the summit to the border and for this reason the peaks appears as well in the mountains of this country.

First climb: the first climb was by H.Russell and C.Passet, but they climbed only the Gabieto Oriental. The first climb of Gabieto Occidental was by Brulle, before of the return of Russell to the main summit.

Getting There / Routes

Routes to GabietosRoutes to Gabietos


The most usual trailheads and routes (time to summit):

1.-Gavarnie-Col de Tentes: with two posibilities:
1.1.--Across Breche de Roland-collado Blanco (F): 4h, slope: 900m.
1.2.--From the summit of Taillon (P.D.inf.): 4h 45m, slope 1100m.
2.-Pradera de Ordesa-Carriata (F): 6h, slope 1800m.


Gavarnie:
From Toulouse or Tarbes we drive in direction to Lourdes. From Lourdes, follow to Luz-St-Saveur, from there on there should be signs to Gavarnie or Gedre. There is a good asphalt road up the col de Tentes (2208m) with a parking of cars.

Ordesa:

From Zaragoza to Huesca, excellent highway. Road N-330 to Sabiñánigo, across the tunnels of Monrepos. After Sabiñánigo you have to get road N260 north for 13 km and turn right at Biescas following the road C-138 (road signs "Ordesa"). Then you cross the Col of Cotefablo and after 24 km turn left at the crossroads marked Torla. From that point on it's only 2 km to the parking lot or 8 km to the pradera de Ordesa.

Red Tape

Gabieto Oriental and TaillonGabieto Or. and Taillon from Gabieto Occ.

The peak is located in the natural park of Ordesa.
The National Park Regulations are the following:

- Free camping is forbidden. It's permited to vivouac or camp using a tent lower than 1.3 m/ 4 ft 3.25 in, wich would be taken down at dawn. This practice is allowed above these heights:
Ordesa area: 2.100 m (Clavijas de Soaso)
Añisclo area: 1.800 m (Fuen Blanca)
Escuaín area: 1.800 m (La Ralla)
Pineta area: 2.500 m (Balcón de Pineta / Marmoré)
- Sports aside hiking, climbing, ski-mountaineering and speleology are forbidden.
- The sale of commercial products is not allowed
- It's forbidden to swim in the rivers, streams and lakes
From the summit of TaillonView from Taillon

Camping

In french side you can camp in a place far of more than 1 hour of a refuge over 2000m

See the section above for the rules about to camp in the area.

To sleep in the night you had a lot of hotels and some campings in the villages of Torla and Gavarnie.

Refuges:
-Ref.de Sarradets (2587m, 85 places). Tel:62924063.
-Ref.de Goriz (2190m, 100 places) Tel:974-341201.

Campings:
Spain:
-Camping Bujaruelo: camping and refuge.
-Camping Río Ara (Torla)
-Camping de Fenes (Bujaruelo).

France:
-More than 10 campings in the area of Luz St Sauver, Gedre, Gavarnie: Campings65: list of the campings of Pays Toy with webs and mails.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
visentin

visentin - Apr 21, 2009 6:28 am - Voted 10/10

Gabiétou

I'd add the french name into the query field at least (to find it during a search) : Gabiétou ( + "Gabietou" without accent in query field)

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Apr 23, 2009 8:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Gabiétou

thanks, I've add your corrections.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cirque de GavarnieMountains & Rocks
 
Pyrénées: BigorreMountains & Rocks
 
 
3000'ers of the PyreneesMountains & Rocks