Skiing on Srenjski preval

Skiing on Srenjski preval

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.35000°N / 13.89000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: D-, 45 deg. A very steep and exposed ski tour
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach & Overview Information

Pokljuka ski tours 4
Visevnik and Mali Draski vrh
Viševnik and Mali Draški vrh
Mali Draski vrh (on the left)...
Bor - Mali Draški vrh from SW
Skiing from Mali Draški vrh is rarely done, because of its steep slope. This tour is on the border between ordinary tour skiing and alpinistic skiing. The tour is also exposed and requires really good and safe conditions.

Less than 200 m of the slope above Srenjski preval reach up to 45 degrees and the overall difficulty of skiing is rated D-.

See the main page how to reach Srenjski preval. It can be reached with skis either from Konjščica meadow over Jezerce basin or from Rudno polje below the north face of Viševnik.

Route Description

Mali Draski vrh from east.
Mali Draski vrh and its steep ski slope
Mali Draski vrh
The ravines above Srenjski preval
From Srenjski preval you ascend the summit of Mali Draški vrh as normally in summer. But in winter or spring you will take care of appropriate slopes for skiing.

First you ascend directly above the saddle. When slopes get too steep for skiing, you must cross a bit towards right (east) on the adjacent slopes, which are tricky, because they end below with some vertical rocks. Don't slide there! This slope ends just below the summit with a more or less narrow ravine and some final rocks. The terrain depends a lot on the amount of snow. If more snow, all these details can not be seen and perhaps you can even do the line up directly above the saddle.

You ski down by the approach route. If going on the eastern part of the slope, take care, because a rocky drop is below you!


Essential Gear

Equipment for tour skiing. Ice pick/axe.