Pokljuka 4-peaks ski tour

Pokljuka 4-peaks ski tour

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.36019°N / 13.87592°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: D- (Difficile)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Srenjski preval
Srenjski preval
Mali Draški vrh
Mali Draški vrh

While actually all the summits above the Pokljuka plateau can be ski touring goals, some of them are also quite demanding. You usually choose one or two of them as day objective(s), but here a very nice quartet is presented. They stand close enough, but the demanding tour will take you a whole day. The views from all summits are fantastic, especially towards Triglav.

Getting There

Rudno polje, 1345 m, is a famous winter resort, hosting nordic ski world cup events. There's a big (payable) parking lot. 46.34653647649418, 13.923972793743507.

Overall difficulty

It's a difficult ski tour. The descent from Mali Draški vrh is already considered not a normal ski tour, but clearly an alpinistic endeavor. On the Swiss Ski Tours Grading Scale it's graded D- (Difficile -). The rest of skiing is one or two grades less demanding (AD and PD), with some easy sections (F) in between. See the embedded maps.

With the exception of Mali Draški vrh, where skiing is also quite exposed, difficulties of all other ski descents lie in steepness of slopes. The slopes most dangerous of avalanches are: Viševnik north slope, Mali Draški vrh south slope, Ablanca north slope. Orientation on the whole tour is medium demanding.

One of the tour issues to consider is the various orientation of slopes for skiing. Good conditions must be on northern slopes, southern slopes, eastern slopes and in a steep valley oriented towards the west. The upper slopes of Mali Draški vrh are rocky, so enough snow is needed, but those are at the same time the steepest and most exposed sections.

Altitude gain and times

Pokljuka 4 peaks ski tour map

Collecting four peaks means ups and downs, that's why on the whole tour you have to overcome some 1650 m of altitude.

Roughly count on the following times:

  • Rudno polje - Viševnik: 2 h 30 min.
  • Viševnik - Mali Draški vrh: 1 h 30 min.
  • Mali Draški vrh - Veliki Draški vrh: 2 h.
  • Veliki Draški vrh - Ablanca: 1 h.
  • Ablanca - Konjščica meadow: 1 h.
  • Konjščica meadow - Rudno polje: 1 h.

For the whole round tour that's approximately 9 hours.

Interactive map

See full screen

Best season and best day time

You can do the tour in winter months, if there's not too much fresh snow (some 15 cm of powder snow is ideal). The southern ravines of Mali Draški vrh must have solid snow, but not too hard. That's why the best months can be in average late February and March.

Start early in a day, so you will be on the second, most demanding summit just before noon (after 4 hours). Also in winter months consider shorter days.

 

Essential Gear

In addition to the normal tour skiing equipment, ice pick and crampons are mandatory. In too hard snow you will probably not undertake the tour anyway, but the very steep slopes of Mali Draški vrh should not be underestimated.

Online map on this page is sufficient. The classical map is: Julijske Alpe - Triglav, 1:25000. Planinska zveza Slovenije.

Route Description

From the parking place go towards the NW by a mountain road. If it's arranged as a cross country ski track, you'll perhaps need to go by the other side of barracks. Then you continue along two ski lifts and from the upper station (1560 m) by a distinct ravine further up towards the W-NW. Above is a flat terrace, called Mrzle vode. You continue westwards and nice slopes bring you up on a 100 m higher SE ridge of Viševnik. Continue the ascent up along the ridge. After it becomes steeper you best traverse the E oriented slopes and gain the summit ridge. Follow it to the highest point (2050 m).

A typical scenery on Visevnik
A typical scenery on Viševnik
Viševnik from north-east
Viševnik from north-east

Ski down from Viševnik by the approach summit ridge, but only some 60 m down, where on the left a small saddle appears. There you can carefully slide down on the N slopes. Don't ski down towards the NE, but traverse the slopes towards the NW, where you gain a small saddle on the side N-NE ridge of Viševnik. Cross it and only then ski down.

The next goal is Srenjsko sedlo (saddle), on the left. So, make sure not to lose all the altitude, it's a bit higher than the plateau below. From the saddle you continue towards the N. There you soon enter a very steep, shallow ravine. Actually there are two, the right (E) one has an abyss below, so higher you may want to switch to the left (W) one. Gaining the Summit ridge of Mali Draški vrh, you'll find the highest point some 80 m to the left (W).

Visevnik and Mali Draški vrh
Visevnik and Mali Draški vrh
Mali Draški vrh
Mali Draški vrh
On the summit of Mali Draški vrh
On the summit of Mali Draški vrh
Srenjski preval
Srenjski preval

Ski down from Mali Draški vrh carefully to the saddle and there turn right, into the broad, still quite steep valley. Don't ski by it all the way down to Jezerce basin. On some 1816 m, when the walls on the right allow, you find a good natural passage up towards the saddle between Mali and Veliki Draški vrh. You don't need to ascend (skinning up) just on the saddle. Start traversing its S slopes towards the W, aiming to reach below the famous E roof of Veliki Draški vrh. Make sure not to ascend by its NE slope which is steeper and more rugged. From below the roof just ascend over it directly to the summit.

Skiing down from Veliki Draški vrh
Skiing down from Veliki Draški vrh

From Veliki Draški vrh you ski first down the roof, then turn to the right and follow in the S direction a set of shallow valleys and inclined terraces. When reaching the altitude of Studorski preval (saddle) keep to the right and ascend it. The ascent further on Ablanca follows its N-NW ridge. It's steep (you must walk on foot), but in good conditions there should be no bigger issues.

Ablanca behind
Ablanca behind

The first part of skiing down from Ablanca goes by its NE ridge. It's not too demanding, but you have to answer the question where to leave it down to the left. There are a few options, but all are quite steep. Don't leave the ridge too late! Coming down you continue by a very nice valley to the bottom of Jezerce basin. There turn right and leave it through its mouth in the SE direction. Now you ski down by broad slopes to Konjščica meadow. The right (W) side of them is not overgrown.

Konjščica alpine meadow
Konjščica alpine meadow

The first part of skiing down from Ablanca goes by its NE ridge. It's not too demanding, but you have to answer the question where to leave it down to the left. There are a few options, but all are quite steep. Don't leave the ridge too late! Coming down you continue by a very nice valley to the bottom of Jezerce basin. There turn right and leave it through its mouth in the SE direction. Now you ski down by broad slopes to Konjščica meadow. The right (W) side of them is not overgrown.

From the hut of Konjščica meadow you have two options to return on Rudno polje. You best ascend immediately by a clearing towards the E, then continue a bit more up through the woods, overcome a narrow, a bit unpleasant ledge and on the other side ski down through not too dense woods. Reaching the mountain road you may also just follow it down to your car.