Bowman Fork

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67080°N / 111.683°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an enjoyable and easy to follow trail to the summit of Gobblers Knob. The route lies on north facing slopes and is well shaded, making it preferrable to the south facing approaches from Big Cottonwood Canyon during the heat of the summer.

The Bowman Fork route is one of the two common approaches used to climb Gobblers Knob from Millcreek Canyon, the other being the Alexander Basin route.

Getting There

This route begins at the Bowman Fork trailhead in Millcreek Canyon. Refer to the main page 'Getting There' section for directions to the trailhead.

Stats

One-Way Hiking Distance: 4.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 4,006 ft.
Average Gain per Mile: 890 ft.

Trailhead Elevation: 6,240 ft.
Summit Elevation: 10,246 ft.

Route Description

From the Bowman Fork trailhead, the trail begins a gradual ascent as it heads in a generally eastward direction for approximately 1 mile up the Bowman Fork drainage.

The trail then leaves the drainage and turns south, making a series of switchbacks as it climbs to White Fir Pass, where the views open up into Porter Fork to the west.

Beyond White Fir Pass the trail continues climbing in a generally southward direction for approximately 1.5 miles to Baker Spring, which provides a perennial source of water.

Above Baker Spring the trail makes a slight turn to the west, making a long traverse across the steep north-west facing slopes of Gobblers Knob, until it eventually reaches Baker Pass, at an elevation of 9,320 feet. Baker Pass is the saddle roughly midway between Gobblers Knob to the east, and Mount Raymond to the west.

From Baker Pass turn left (east) and follow the faint trail as it begins climbing the final 800 vertical feet up the west ridge of Gobblers Knob towards the summit. The ridge reaches the top of a false summit (elevation 10,224), but the true summit is an easy 1/4-mile walk to the east.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.