Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.93324°N / 106.99001°W
Additional Information County: Gunnison
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11145 ft / 3397 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Snodgrass Mountain Overview

From a different angle
Snodgrass Mountain rises 11,145ft above sea level and is basically to put it in simple words, a hill or bump that shares the saddle with Gothic Mountain. It is conveniently located in Crested Butte, Colorado and is in the Elk Mountains. It could be seen best from the small ski town of Mount Crested Butte, but could also be seen from the inside of Gothic nearby. This is one of many mountains in this area that can be enjoyed all year round. It is most popular for mountain bikes to do a short ride to the summit, but could also be a great hike or jog for the family. In the winter or early spring, you could ski or snowboard down it. However, I recommend doing it in the fall so you could see all the Aspens turning and it will make a short, enjoyable, pleasurable day hike. From the summit you get a good basic panorama of the entire area around Crested Butte, including Crested Butte itself and all of the mountains in the beautiful Ruby Range.

Getting There

From Gunnison you could get to Crested Butte by going west for about 50 miles or so. Once at Crested Butte, go towards the ski town of Mount Crested Butte. As you are leaving the ski town, you can see Snodgrass clearly. There is a gate to the left before you make the sharp left turn into Gothic. This is one of the routes up it. There is a small parking area that is always full during the summer and fall, so get there early. The main use for this parking lot is to get up to Snodgrass.

It is a Class 1 and is very easy. More detailed info on the routes can be found in the Routes section of this page.

Red Tape

No permits required but stay on trail, Private Property is very close. In the winter, snowmobiles are prohibited. Check the winter closure sign for more recent restrictions.

Camping

You could tent camp in Gothic, however there are a few spots for you to put a pop-up. Make sure you camp in the designated spots along this road, the area is very delicate. You could also camp down Slate River Road by Oh-Be-Joyfully or you could go up the road to Kebler Pass and cut off to Lake Erwin and pay to camp there.

External Links

http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=2314

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.