South Face Right Side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.59080°N / 118.2878°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Both approaches start by ascending the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek off the Whitney trail.

Approach from Iceberg Lake:

Hike to Iceberg Lake via the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek. From Iceberg, hike to the Whitney-Russell saddle by staying on the left side of the lake. The South face is half a mile north of the saddle.

Approach from Upper Boy Scout Lake:

Hike to Upper Boy Scout Lake via the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek. From UBL follow the path on the right hand side of the lake past the lush grass. Climb steep gravelly talus slope above a cliff band. From there, hike west above the cliff band to a gap between the two pinnacles. This traverse will take you to the base of the Sout Face.

Route Description


Climb the steep sandy slope. Stay on the right hand side of the slope to avoid going up the left side variation. The middle section of the slope is the most sandy. The right side provides a rockier route. At the top of the slope and the beginning of the wall, climb the class 3 route that runs from right to left. Proceed to traverse the ridge to the summit.

Essential Gear


Crampons and an ice axe necessary early in the season

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.