South Franklin Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.86455°N / 106.49082°W
Additional Information County: El Paso
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6791 ft / 2070 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South Franklin MountainThe FAA towers on South Franklin's Peak

South Franklin Mountain is a mountain summit in the Franklin Mountain Range located in El Paso, Texas. It stands within the confines of The Franklin Mountains State Park and is owned and operated by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

South Franklin Mountain climbs to 6,791 feet (2,069.90 meters) above sea level. While shorter and less visited than its neighbor to the north, North Franklin Mountain, South Franklin Mountain still gives visitors a challenging hike and wide views of El Paso and into New Mexico and Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico.

Trans-Mountain Road/Loop 375 is a major roadway in El Paso, Texas which dissects the Franklin Mountains connecting the east and west sides of the city. South Franklin Mountain looms up directly south of this highway while North Franklin Mountain stands watch to the north.

South Franklin Mountain is easily recognizable when viewing the mountain range from El Paso as only the jagged, rocky peak, a stark comparison to the seemingly smooth and polished North Franklin Mountain. South Franklin also features several FAA Towers on the summit which helps make it distinct to onlookers when one is close enough to make them out.

Getting There

There is only one route to the top, The Ron Coleman Trail, which starts at McKelligon Canyon and ends on Trans-Mountain Rd. See the full description under the Routes tab.
Ron Coleman Trail

Red Tape

South Franklin Mountain is part of the Franklin Mountins State park and is owned and maintained by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. No permits are required, but there is a fee for entering the park (currently $4 for persons 13 and older).
Elephant RockElephant Rock

When to climb

South Franklin Mountain can be climbed year round. El Paso has a semi-arid climate with very hot summers (with little or no humidity) and mild, dry winters.

Temperatures range from an average high of 55 F (13 °C) and an average low of 28 °F (-2 °C) in January to an average high of 97 °F (36 °C ) and an average low of 68 °F (20 °C) in August. The city's record high is 114 °F (45.5 °C), and its record low is -8 °F (-22 °C).

The sun shines 302 days per year on average in El Paso, 83 percent of daylight hours, according to the El Paso Weather Bureau. It is from this that the city is nicknamed, The Sun City.

Rainfall averages 8.74 inches (223 mm) per annum, most of which occurs during the summer from July through September. El Paso, at 3,800 feet elevation, is also capable of snow, but it is rare.


External Links

The WindowThe Window

Franklin Mountains on Wikipedia

South Franklin Mountain on Mountain Zone

Franklin Mountans State Park official website

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

City of El Paso official website

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Oct 25, 2014 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Fee increase

The fee for the Ron Coleman trail is now $5.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Franklin MountainsMountains & Rocks