South West Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.65800°N / 111.701°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Usually people who climb the peak from this side start from the Hidden Falls Trailhead, but it can also be reached from Thayne Canyon and Porter Fork trails.

Porter Fork: Start at the hidden falls trail and hike 3.75 miles to Porter Fork Pass, gaining 2,960 feet. In the early spring one can hike straight up the snow slopes to the top of teh peak once the left fork of Elbow Fork is gained. This slope makes for a nice glissade upon descent as well.

Thayne Canyon: Start at the trailhead just around the corner from the Church Fork Picnic Grounds. Take either the high or low trail and head up Thayne canyon towards Thayne Peak (which is an easy peak to bag along the way). Eventually the trail traverses through some cliffbands before gaining the saddle at the west side of Mt Raymond. The trail is 6.85 miles one way and gains 4,241 feet.

Route Description


From the point where the trail traverses the south west slope, just scramble up the steep grassy slope to the top. In the summer it is probably better to stick to the west ridgeline. When it is snow covered but late enough in the season that the avalanche danger is nonexistent, one can just head straight up!
If electing to ascend the west slopes during the winter, caution should be taken. These slopes are greater than 30 degrees and have seen some slides occur in the winter and early spring. Ascending the west slopes proper may put you on the ridge to the south, southwest of Raymond's true summit. Caution should be taken to stay on the west side of the ridge and off the ridge proper in winter. It is corniced and drops away to the east precipitiously

Essential Gear


Early Spring ('till May) - Hiking Boots, gaitors, ice axe
Winter - Avalanche safety gear, ice axe

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.