South Willow Creek Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.45970°N / 112.6263°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Deseret Peak trailhead, located at the top of Loop Campground at the end of South Willow Canyon.

Route Description


A short distance into the hike, a sign indicates that you have entered the Deseret Peak Wilderness Area. Within a mile, there is a fork in the trail: left goes to Deseret Peak, right goes to South Willow Lake. From there you begin to climb up out of the quaking aspens, switching back and forth through a conifer forest. The trail makes aggressive switchbacks as you approach the saddle, and the forest begins to thin out. At the saddle, at least two trails fork off - take the right-hand fork up the slope to the northwest. You will end up cutting around the backside of the mountain, and the trail gradually becomes just rock as you approach the summit.

Essential Gear


Early in the season, crampons and an ice axe would be a wise choice for the upper slopes. During summer and fall, just be prepared for the rapidly changing weather of an 11,000+ peak. You may find water in the creek, but you should bring along your own just in case. Bring your camera - the views are awesome!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.