Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.17771°N / 113.80051°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log




SE Ridge

Borah through the storms from Al West

The Southeast Ridge can be done virtually year round, but trying it from December to March will make for a challenging half day scramble.  From the Rock Creek Dam, follow the drainage through a forested area from 7200 to 8600 feet.  A usage trail is very apparent, particularly after the first section and is most used by those approaching the North Face Route on Borah.  As you leave the forested area on the south slopes of Al West, traverse the scree east utilizing herd trails.  Turn north and shoot for the ridgeline (very steep) just NW of Pt 9774.  Follow the ridgeline around and across rock outcroppings and small towers toward the northwest.  Class 3 should be the most difficult scrambling you'll encounter.  Near 10,600 feet, turn directly north and ascend the steep south slopes.  The summit is broad and offers amazing and unique views of the Lost River Range, Pahsimeroi Range, Lemhi Range, White Knob, Pioneer, and White Cloud Ranges.  The North Face of Borah is visible for the whole of the Southeast Ridge.

Southeast Ridge Route: 4.5 miles and 4340 feet gain (one way)

Al West SE Ridge Topo



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.