Southeast Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.16049°N / 115.00728°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log


Southeast Slopes

The southeast slopes provide one of the few winter routes to a summit known in the Sawtooths.  The open nature of the terrain lend itself to exceptional backcountry skiing.  In the summer, these same slopes make for a difficult slog up to the ridgeline.  The going is difficult once your above Marshall Lake and onto the south facing terrain, where small scree on top of sand will challenge the strongest leg muscles.  Once onto the summit ridge, however, the going is on more solid rock and the views are tremendous.  The June Couloir Route on Williams looks daunting from this aspect.  Merritt Peak, one of more challenging route finding problems in the range is also viewable.  The west summit is taller, but the east summit is more technical and impressive.

Crown Point Summit Ridge

Southeast Slopes (Class 3)-  the easiest way to summit involves cross country travel east of Marshall Lake.  Stay south of Crown Point's serrated East Ridge and look for the gaps in the ridges that lead to a prominent notch just north of the June Couloir on Williams Peak.  Ascend the south slopes from this point with challenging scree slopes. Bypass the East Summit to the south to get to the true west summit.  The impressive east summit requires short Class 4-5 climbing.

All Routes From Redfish Lake Backpackers Trailhead: 6.5 miles and 4238 feet gain (one way)

 E  Pattern


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.