Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.16049°N / 115.00728°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10084 ft / 3074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Crown Point

Crown Point sits just 0.6 miles north of Williams Peak and is also referred to as "10 eighty- two".  Legend has it that famed local climber and backcountry skier, Kirk Bachman, knocked a large block off the summit.  This peak makes for an excellent scramble, a decent snow climb, or a spectacular open sloped ski descent.  The south slopes of Crown Point lie just above the backcountry yurt owned by Kirk Bachman. His Sawtooth Mountain Guide Company offers summer climbing or winter skiing adventures in the Sawtooths.

Crown Point affords excellent views of Williams Peak's June Couloir Route. It also holds it's own north side couloir and it's open south slopes are considered some of the top backcountry ski terrain in the range.  Situated above Marshall Lake, a common backpacking destination, Crown Point's unofficial name was coined by early scramblers for it's east summit that resembles a king's crown.  From the summit, the complex and challenging Merritt Peak can be scoped, along with Goat Lake and the nearby town of Stanley.

Routes

South Slopes of Crown Point

Southeast Slopes (Class 3)-See the Routes page for more information

Northeast Face (Class 4)- this route usually requires ice ax and cramp-ons.  From Marshall Lake, obtain the valley north of Crown Point by skirting the east ridge on the east side.  Navigate to the permanent snowfield shown on the USGS topo. From above the snowfield, use a direct line to the summit and aim for the notch between the East and West summits.

East Ridge (Class 5)- this route involves a rope for rappelling over the many gendarmes and rock towers.  The most difficult towers are found in the 8000-9600 elevation range, yet many can be bypassed on either the south or north sides.  A true and faithful ridge traverse would require extreme confidence with Class 4, and the negotiation of rotten rock in some exposed sections.

All Routes From Redfish Lake Backpackers Trailhead: 6.5 miles and 4238 feet gain (one way)

Kirk Bachman

Kirk Bachman is most famous for his first ascent rock climbs in the Sawtooths and the Sawtooth Mountain Guides which he founded in 1985.  His guiding started in the 1970's and the service continues today with new and varied guide trips of both rock and ski nature.  Kirk also helped pioneer the backcountry yurt system in the Western Unites States.  It started as a project through Idaho State University when he was a student, and he continued to use his canvas yurt idea after his graduation.  The idea caught on and a national trend was established.

For the serious rock climber or alpinist, Kirk Bachman holds a treasure trove of Sawtooth climbing information.

Crown Point North Ridge

Getting There

Follow signs south of Stanley on ID-75 for the Redfish Lake turnoff.  Park at the backpackers parking lot and follow the Fishhook Creek Trail to the Marshall Lake turnoff.  The Redfish Lake area is one of the busiest during the summer months.

Check the road conditions at:  Idaho Transportation Department

Goat Lake

Conditions and Season

Conditions may vary greatly.  Access is typically from May to October. The approach road to Redfish Lake is gated at ID-75. 

The Sawtooth Valley can be one of the coldest areas in the nation during the winter. Negative readings are common.  Snowfall can vary and occur at any time. Summer days can still be hot, but you'll probably never experience 90 or above, especially once you get up higher. 

Nearby Stanley, Idaho Climate Data:
Jan Feb  Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Average Max. Temperature (F)  27.0 33.7  42.5 50.3 59.9 68.4 78.7  78.4 68.6 56.6 38.1  26.0 52.4
Average Min. Temperature (F) -0.5  0.3 9.7 20.3 28.3  33.9  36.0 34.0  27.2  20.6 12.0  -0.8 18.4
Average Total Precipitation (in.) 1.64 1.33 1.02 1.02 1.17 1.16 0.59  0.59 0.78 0.92  1.46   1.55  13.24
Average Total SnowFall (in.) 16.9 13.2  10.2 3.4 0.9  0.2  0.0  0.0 0.4  1.7  10.4  14.6  71.9
Average Snow Depth (in.)  18  20 15 0  0 0 0  2  8  6

Marshall lake

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Latest Avalanche Report (Sawtooth Area)

http://www.avalanche.org/~svavctr/

National Weather Service Current Forecast for Stanley:

http://newweb.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?zone=idz018&county=idc037&wfo=pih&dgtl=1&lat=44.21139&lon=-114.945

Sawtooth Web Cam can give you a good idea of the conditions in the area:

http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~dpinney/

Sawtooth National Recreation Area

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/recreation/recreport.htm

SNOTEL site gives latest snow depth readings:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/snotel.pl?sitenum=845&state=id       



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks