Southwest Face

Southwest Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.97860°N / 11.11540°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy scramble
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Schaufelspitze is an easy to climb alpine peak situated in the middle of a year-round ski resort. If taking the Stubai Glacier Rail to the upper terminus the ascent up and down the peak can easily be done in under two hours, leaving plenty of time to climb the Schussgrubenkogel on the opposite side of the Gaisskarferner glacier and still make it to the Hildesheimer hut for an afternoon nap and early dinner!

Approach

Shortest approach is to take the Stubai Glacier Railway from Mutterberg (1721m) to its upper terminus at the Gaisskarferner glacier. This takes you right up against the western side of the Schaufelspitze and eliminates most of the snow climb and elevation gain from the valley floor in Mutterberg.

Route Description

From the Stubaier Glacier rail terminus hike onto the Gaisskarferner and follow its northern (left) edge to the southwest face of the Schaufelspitze. The climb is an easy scramble up a rough trail and rocks to the summit.

Essential Gear

Dependent on recent weather an axe and crampons may be necessary. With dry conditions no gear is necessary.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.