Schaufelspitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.97860°N / 11.11540°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10935 ft / 3333 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Schaufelspitze would be a very nice, significant mountain if it was not located in the center of the Stubai ski circus.
The cable cars make this mountain easy to reach, though it is the 18th highest mountain in the Stubai alp region.
It is surrounded by the Schaufel ferner in the north (the so-called Stubai glacier), the Fernauferner in the east and the Gaißkarferner in the south.
Since the cable car goes up to 2870 m (station Eisgrat) and the trail across the glacier is without cravasses (prepared for tourists) it can be reached virtually without significant risk. Nevertheless the steep slopes need more than hiking. Those who find this to demanding can climb the so-called Kleiner Isidor (3183 m) which has been equipped with stairs. But I would not call this really a mountain!

Getting There


The Schaufelspitze is reached
1) from the cable car station Eisgrat or
2) from the Dresdner Hütte or
3) from the Hildesheimer Hütte

via

a) from the Eisjoch (normal route) or
b) from the Schaufelnieder (south east ridge)

1) The station Eisgrat is part of the Stubai summer skiing region.
2) The Dresdner Hütte is reached from the Stubai valley within 2 h. The Eisjoch is reached from there via a marked trail, the last 260 m go across the glacier (without crevasses). From there go to the restaurant and climb the mountain via a visable trail.
3) The Hildesheimer Hütte is reached from the Ötztal within 4 1/2 h. From there take the marked trail and go along the Gaißkarferner (some crevasses) to reach the above mentioned restaurant in the vicinity of the Eisjoch.

a) Route from the Eisjoch - see above
b Route from the Schaufelnieder. The Schaufelnieder is reached from the station Eisgrat within 1 h by going eastward and the climbing the Fernauferner. Alternatively go from the Hildesheimer hut across the Gaißkarferner to the Schaufelnieder.
The Schaufelspitze is reached from the Schaufelnieder via the south east ridge within 1 1/2 h (UIAA II, rotten rocks!)

When To Climb


Summer: June - October
Winter: Ski ascent.

Guides and Maps


The recommended guide is the "Alpenvereinsführer" "Stubaier Alpen" by Walter Klier (Bergverlag Rother, 2002)
ISBN: 3-7633-1271-4 (Description)

A detailed map is available from the Alpenverein (Stubaier Alpen - Hochstubai - 31/1 1: 25000)
This map is available with or without routes for ski mountaineering (Description).

A good map is sold by freytag & berndt (Innsbruck, Stubai - Seelrain, Brenner 1:50000, WK241).
(Description)

Huts in the Vicinity


General Information on huts is given in Jo's Hüttenliste

Dresdner Hütte: 2302 m, Tel.: +(A) 05226 / 8112 (not open in June)

Hildesheimer Hütte: 2899 m, Tel.: +(A) 05254 / 2300 (July - September)

Mountain Conditions


Mountain conditions are available from the huts in the vicinity.

Winter climbing: Propability of avalanges can been found here: Lawinenwarndienst - Österreich

Information of alpine weather is found here: Wetter

Red Tape


No fees, no closures.

Camping


The whole area is a "Naturschutzgebiet " (similar to a national park) which prohibits camping, possibly bivouaking is allowed (at least tolerated). Sleeping is of course possible in the surrounding huts.
Camping is possible in Volderau (some kilometers from Neustift in the Stubaital)and in the Ötztal in Längenfeld (30 km from Vent) (Homepage)
Further camping sites might be in Sölden (15 km from Vent) and Huben (20 km from Vent) in the Ötztal.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
JoPo

JoPo - Sep 1, 2005 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

This lift is called "Schaufeljoch-lift" thought is is reaching the "isidornieder". The Schaufeljoch in fact does not exist, its name is a construction by the marketing department of the "Stubaier-Gletscher-Bahn". btw., the Stubaier Gletscher does not exist neither.

Further comment: First lift in summer time 8:00

jay_1964

jay_1964 - Jul 18, 2005 6:23 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Since my last visit 1995 there is now a cable car from Eisgrat station to the Panoramic Cafe at Stubier Eisjoch. If this is used the summit can be reached in under 20 minutes

iceferret

iceferret - Jul 30, 2005 3:25 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

There is now a brand new tourist gondola that takes you to the col at the foot of the normal route. Ascent time is '30-45 minutes. Can now be done on route to Hildesheimer hut before climbing the Zuckerhutl.

JoPo

JoPo - Sep 1, 2005 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

This lift is called "Schaufeljoch-lift" thought is is reaching the "isidornieder". The Schaufeljoch in fact does not exist, its name is a construction by the marketing department of the "Stubaier-Gletscher-Bahn". btw., the Stubaier Gletscher does not exist neither.

Further comment: First lift in summer time 8:00

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Stubaier HauptkammMountains & Rocks