Stairway To Heaven

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.05230°N / 76.5226°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page to the Breezyview Overlook. From here head down the Susquehannna Heritage Trail to the base of Chickies Rock. To get to the start of this route contour around the north face of the rock past the base of the anticline which forms a little cave. There is almost like a spine of rocks heading up the face. This is the Stairway to Heaven.

Route Description


This route heads up the north face of Chickies Rock and ends just below the "touristy" section of the rock. The bottom is some easy class three scrambling over some ledges. You almost have the feel of being in the rainforest though with all the mosses and greenery around you in the trees. It is quite a neat atmosphere. Continue up the ledges until you get above the trees and have some nice views of the river.

From here, the fun part begins. contour south along the face until you reach the crack, which is an seventy degree gully heading up to the top. From here it is an airy, but fun, fourth class scramble to the top of Chickies Rock. The views are awesome and it is a very rewarding climb. You also get some different perspectives of the climbers heading up the wall. Great views and great fun!

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots/climbing shoes, snacks/water, nerves, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.