The Ramp

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.05230°N / 76.5226°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page for getting to the Breezyview Overlook. From the overlook head along the Susquehanna Heritage Trail until you reach the base of Chickies Rock. It is approximately three quarters of a mile. As you are facing east towards Chickies Rock, the ramp route leaves the path on the right side of the rock.

Route Description


This route heads up a little gully in the rock on the south face of Chickies Rock before turning west to head up around the top of the wall. The gutter is class 2 with two class 3 moves at the top. Once at the top you'll be standing on a ledge with some nice views that get even better as you start up the ramp and towards the west face of the rock.

The ramp is a little scarier than it looks, but there is a very airy class 3/borderline class 4 move at the top, just before heading onto the face. Once you get onto the west face it is a short scramble to the top of the south buttress. From here you can scramble along the edge of the anticline to the summit, or take the hiking path for the last hundred yards.

The views from all over Chickies Rock are magnificent. The river makes a wonderful backdrop for such a dramatic place. The sunsets from here are supposed to be some of the best found anywhere in PA, so that will be saved for a day in the near future. What a gorgeous place.

Essential Gear


Hiking boots, climbing gear for other routes, a camera, snacks/water, and relaxation.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.