Susquehanna Heritage Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.05230°N / 76.5226°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This trail is actually a decently long one which follows the Susquehanna River from Maryland up through Pennsylvania. The section described here though is a one and a half mile chunk located within the Chickies Rock County Park.

Starting at Breezyview Overlook head north and down the steep hill on a spur trail of the Susquehanna Heritage Trail. This was built to connect hikers to the base of Chickies Rock. The descent is quite steep, but short lived and on good footing. You'll pass huge chunks of chert and schist on your way down to the river side. Once you reach the base of the hill you can go right or left (north or south). To get to the base of Chickies Rock turn right and head north. From here it is a nice walk on an old railroad bed of the Pennsylvania Canal with many remnants of old buildings on the right. To your left is what's left of the PA Canal. This section of trail is very easy and quite enjoyable. When the leaves change in Fall it is a sight to behold. In about 3/4 of a mile you'll reach the base of Chickies Rock. From here it's up to you whether to ascend (and which route) or just admire the other climbers making their way to the top.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes, water/snacks, and a camera.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.