Steinfeldspitze from Zauchensee via E ridge

Steinfeldspitze from Zauchensee via E ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.26623°N / 13.45009°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium hard hike up (T3)
Sign the Climber's Log

Introduction

Steinfeldspitze E ridge
The summit part of E ridge is grassy and easy
This is the easiest approach on Steinfeldspitze, but the E ridge is still exposed, requires some easy scrambling and has a few sections, which are protected by cables. Below we hike by nice alpine meadows, then some woods and an eroded, unpleasant slope bring us on the summit ridge. The last part is very nice, amusing and panoramic.

General Information

Steinfeldspitze map
Difficulty: It's a hiking tour, difficulties are concentrated on the middle part of summit ridge. On the Swiss Hiking Scale its difficulty would be graded T3.

Orientation: Easy, all the time marked. See also the GPX track in the header!

Exposition: Some places are exposed, so quite some care is needed.

Best season: Dry months of season (June to October).

Gear: Good shoes and poles.

Tour start: Zauchensee, 1361 m. See the main page how to get there.

Highest point: 2344 m.

Altitude to overcome: 1000 m.

Time for ascent: 3 h 30 min.

Route Description

From the parking place we follow the road and shortcuts towards the S-SE, till the huts of Oberzauchenseealm, 1556 m. From there, we continue in the same direction by a broad shepherds path on the broad saddle of Stubhoehe, 1739 m. From there, the marked path continues through the woods, first in the S-SE direction, then in the SW direction. So we reach the rocky, eroded northern slopes of Baerenstaffl. The path is steep and narrow, a few rocky places require some scrambling and there is also one short passage, secured by a cable. So we exit on the main ridge of Steinfeldspitze, cca 2075 m, just west of the summit of Baerenstaffl (it can be reached in a few minutes).

On Steinfeldspitze E ridge
The middle part in descent
A secured section
A short secured section
On the ridge we turn right, towards the W. A nice path follows the broad, grassy ridge, or crosses a bit below, on the S side. In a small notch we reach another crossroads. There from the left the marked path from Hafeichtscharte (saddle) joins. From there on the ridge becomes more and more narrow. In some places the path avoids it on the northern side, where it crosses by narrow ledges. Some places are protected by cable. Higher on the ridge we go by the rocks directly on the ridge, balancing carefully. Then the last cables help us to gain the last part, where the ridge becomes grassy and easy to ascend. Around the small fore-summit bump we soon reach the top.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.