Sword of Damocles

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.77090°N / 116.6967°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Sword of Damocles can be found at the Buttress of Cracks - Left End. This is the lowest point of Suicide Rock, thus easiest to get to. Head left along the base of the rock where the entry climbers' trail ends. A multitude of wonderful routes, varying degrees of difficulty, will be found along this wall.
Suicide Rock

Route Description

This is a one pitch climb which starts simply enough and squeezes into a thin crack. Hand and foot jams do the trick. Halfway up crack, you will find fixed pin, good luck reaching it if you are under 5'5"! Route doesn't get any easier after the pin, continue hand jamming and smearing through another 5.9 crux until reaching East Buttress Ledge for a 130' foot rappel.

Essential Gear

Pro up to 2".
Runners for lower section to keep drag down.
Bolted anchor at top, but two ropes are needed for 130' rappel.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.