Taum Sauk Mountain Trailhead

Taum Sauk Mountain Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 37.57030°N / 90.7279°W
Additional Information County: Iron
Additional Information Elevation: 1760 ft / 536 m

Getting There

Head south on State Route 21 from Arcadia, Missouri for about 4 and a half miles. Turn right onto Highway CC which is signed for Taum Sauk Mountain State Park. Along Highway CC you will see an Adopt-A-Highway sign listing the highpointers club and it's founder Jack Longacre who lived in this area. After a few miles the pavement will end near a fork in the road. To the left is a lookout tower with wonderful views, to the right is Taum Sauk Mountain State Park. Once in the park there will be a viewing platform on the right side of the road that includes a panoramic photo labeling the peaks and valleys before you. At the end of the road is parking for many vehicles. I've seen as many as five different state plates - apparently highpointers - at one time.


Destinations from this Trailhead

Photos of a few Destinations



Description of Destinations

Taum Sauk Mountain summit - Missouri state highpoint

Mina Sauk Falls - highest waterfall in Missouri located on the southwest slopes of Taum Sauk Mountain

Wildcat Mountain - second highest point in Missouri (bushwack)

Devil's wall - Rocky wall on the west and south slopes of Wildcat Mountain (bushwack)

Devil's Tollgate - nice rock formation through which the Ozark Trail passes

Unnamed waterfall (about a ten feet drop - location is approximate) on the west slopes of Taum Sauk Mountain (bushwack)

Unnamed scenic shut-in (location is approximate) on the west slopes of Taum Sauk Mountain (bushwack)

Proffit Mountain via the Ozark Trail

The beautiful shut-ins of Johnson Shut-Ins State Park via the Ozark Trail




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OzarksTrailheads